Spare Ribs a smokin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ultramag

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Garden City, MO
Got five racks of ribs and a pan of Dutch's beans on today. Low and slow won't be a problem today, the wind is killing the new GOSM. It is turned so as the wind is perpindicular to the bottom two vents and I've tried to block it, but it is having a heck of a time keeping up. I've also never had it this full of food either so I don't know how it would run usually with all this stuff in there.

Oh well, here are the ribs rubbed down with TulsaJeff's Naked Rib Rub.

Wow, the wind just blew out the burner. Gonna be a long day.
wink.gif

Hang in there. If you find a good way to block the wind, I am interested in your solution. I am anticipating wind issues with my GOSM as we get into winter.

Keep those pics comin'.

Meowey

Here ya go meowey--ribs in the smoker just prior to wrapping.

The wind has pretty much laid down. Now I'm not sure how much was really wind and exactly when I lost the burner.

Ribs are looking great Ultramag :D

If you guys are in a place where you have dirt around you, you can get some 1/2" pvc pipe and cut into about 4 foot lengths, drive a foot of it in the ground on three or four corners and wrap 3' shadecloth or visquine plastic around and it will break the wind.

Hi there ultramag!

Ribs are looking great and I was just going to suggest something similar so that the recieving pipes are always in the ground if you need them but you can put the tarp/plastic set up away when the wind is "behavin"

I am also smokin up a small rack of ribs for me and the Mrs. We will also have garlic mashed yukon gold potatoes and Pretty much the last of our season's Corn on the Cob.

Sheeesh! I can't wait and I know you can't either!

ranger72

OTBS # 14

Here they are out of foil headed back to smoker for the last hour or so:

The two on the left are sauced and the three to the right naked.

Here they are done:

This time the two sauced slabs are two the right. You could suck em right off the bone.
wink.gif
I didn't manage to get a pic of the beans, but that is a great recipe. It is definately a keeper, thanks for sharing it Dutch.

The naked ones look kinda weird in the pic because there is skirt meat and shortends laid in there amongst them.

Chad, for a real treat, next time take some of that skirt meat and chop or dice it and add it to the beans.

Dutch, I had every intention of doing just that, but I had to adapt your recipe for 84 oz. of beans so therefore I had a 12x9 pan (glad that was the size I had on hand) just about to run over after catching rib drippings. I couldn't even stir em up in there hardly, just sloshed them around a little. I opened one to many cans of beans was the cause of this. :oops:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky