Spam...the e-mail kind.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jokensmoken

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Whitmore Lake Michigan
Has anyone noticed an influx of unwanted/unsolicited e-mails since the site upgrade?
I'm not accusing anyone of wrong doing or mishandling of personal info but since the site upgrade my in box is stuffed daily where previously I'd get 3-5 emails a day.
Curious if anyone else has had this experience.

Walt

Reactions: mdgirlinfl
Has anyone noticed an influx of unwanted/unsolicited e-mails since the site upgrade?
I'm not accusing anyone of wrong doing or mishandling of personal info but since the site upgrade my in box is stuffed daily where previously I'd get 3-5 emails a day.

Walt
Yes. I have and I can’t figure out how to unsubscribe to them.

Walt

Hi Walt!

Aren't those emails just a bunch of these (below)?

"Another Chucky with my SV & Grill - New reply to watched thread"

Bear

Hi Walt!

Aren't those emails just a bunch of these (below)?

"Another Chucky with my SV & Grill - New reply to watched thread"

Bear
My e-mail is filling up daily and I have gone through and unchecked everything and still getting e-mails including all night long. My phone beeps with every e-mail. Thinking of unsubscribing if I can't get them shut off. Then I'll just read the site post.

When was the upgrade? Not to sound like an idiot, I haven't been on here for months.

My email has been getting slammed with garbage for the past 3 days. Yesterday alone I had 53 spam/scam/click-jack messages. Today, 15 or so, but the day's not over yet.

you have to go to preferences AND alert preferences (hover over your user name) and uncheck anything and everything that says email notifications

you have to go to preferences AND alert preferences (hover over your user name) and uncheck anything and everything that says email notifications
I don't have a check mark anywhere on anything trying to get rid of all the notifications and still getting notifications to even all the new threads

That's weird, because I have everything checked & only get a few each day.
Before the upgrade I would get 40-50 a day.
I also miss when someone comments on my post I used to get notified, but not anymore.
Al

I never got alerts before.
Now I have everything checked & I get about 20-25 a day.
I'm afraid if I remove the checkmarks I'll miss even more comments & Great Posts.
If it doesn't get much worse I'll leave it like it is.

Bear

One complicating factor is, if you rely on the new posts list you might have to go back pretty far because the turnover is so fast. This is a busy place.

I haven't been getting any new spam at all. Just LOTS of notifications of new posts on any thread i reply to--which is a real PIA!!!!
THAT NEEDS FIXING. If I want to follow a certain thread I mark my post accordingly. I DON'T want to get updates on a thread automatically.
Gary

Don't know if this is any help. I was getting them at first,then I seen something down toward the bottom,to change the settings clicked on it and looked around I think I had to mark 1 more box
Richie

This might help some people that do not want to automatically receive alerts nor emails.
  • Click your member name in the upper right part of the screen
  • Click Preferences
You should see the image below - uncheck the two boxes and your new default should be to receive no alerts nor emails.

alert.jpg

This might help some people that do not want to automatically receive alerts nor emails.
  • Click your member name in the upper right part of the screen
  • Click Preferences
You should see the image below - uncheck the two boxes and your new default should be to receive no alerts nor emails.

View attachment 342840
Here's what my preferences look like and I'm still receiving all the new threads.
Screenshot_20171031-191937.png

I wonder if these settings only apply to any new threads. In other words, perhaps any threads you are already subscribed to will still generate alerts?

There is an area you can explore in your Personal details. You might try this just to see what happens:
  • Click your member name at the top right part of the page
  • Next, click Personal details
  • On that page, look at the left menu and click Watched threads
  • Scroll to the bottom of that page and on the left, click Show all watched threads
There are a couple of things you can play with including Manage watched threads at the top right, under which you can stop watching the existing threads. On this page you can check one or all of the watched threads and choose to enable/disable email notifications, or stop watching the chosen threads altogether.

I don't know if this will work, but it might be worth a try.

Reactions: TulsaJeff
Here's what my preferences look like and I'm still receiving all the new threads.View attachment 342843
The preferences simply tell the software what to do going forward. All of your watched threads will maintain the settings as they were when they first became "watched".

But it's easy to manage all of your watched threads. Go to http://smokingmeatforums.com/index.php?watched/threads/all, select all of the threads and then the drop down at top right to disable email notification.

Now, going forward your settings should set all new watched threads to "no email notifications".

This platform tries to give you too many options in my opinion. I like it better when you can just say what preferences you want and it intuitively applies that to everything past and present. Unfortunately, there's not a perfect solution and we have to work with what we have as best as we can.

I wonder if these settings only apply to any new threads. In other words, perhaps any threads you are already subscribed to will still generate alerts?

There is an area you can explore in your Personal details. You might try this just to see what happens:
  • Click your member name at the top right part of the page
  • Next, click Personal details
  • On that page, look at the left menu and click Watched threads
  • Scroll to the bottom of that page and on the left, click Show all watched threads
There are a couple of things you can play with including Manage watched threads at the top right, under which you can stop watching the existing threads. On this page you can check one or all of the watched threads and choose to enable/disable email notifications, or stop watching the chosen threads altogether.

I don't know if this will work, but it might be worth a try.

You are absolutely correct, sir:)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky