Sous Vide Pork Loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DrewJ

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
I've been wanting to put my $13 sous vide machine to the test so I thawed out a half of a pork loin. With the help of my 3 year old sous chef here it is bagged up with salt, pepper, a little bit of thyme, crushed garlic and a drizzle of olive oil.
20181030_162544.jpg

Brought it to work with me and sous vide it in my office for 5 hours at 155. I went with that temp because in my house if there is even the slightest hint of pink in pork the only one eating it is me. Wrapped it in a towel and stuffed it in a cooler to keep it hot for the trip home. Here it is out of the bag. Looks like a boring piece of boiled meat from here.
20181101_175205.jpg

10 minutes under the broiler and it looks much better and the house smelled amazing.
20181101_180525.jpg

The cut shot.
20181101_181222.jpg

The verdict, this was amazing pork. Tender and juicy from edge to edge. Really nice flavor. My son who for some reason decided to call it "jerky" kept asking for more jerky. I cut him off at 5 slices so he'd finish his squash and grapes too. My original hope was to cold smoke it for a couple of hours and bag it and sous vide it but the timing wasn't there. No regrets since it was so good and I'll do it this way again for sure.

Thanks for looking!

Looks good to me. We do a lot of pork loin because it is versatile and usually not expensive. I love trying new things sous vide but my wife hates it for no logical reason. I just put it down to her being old, crotchety, and not welcoming of anything newish sounding.

My wife was skeptical of sous vide especially when I told her I'd be cooking our dinner in a plastic tub in my office at work but one taste and I think she was sold. She always gets irritated when I bring home a new kitchen gadget but when I use it to make quality food for the family she gets sold. Still working on the stamp of approval for the meat grinder and sausage stuffer. :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky