Sous Vide Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Figured I’d make some more pastrami since I was out. I’ve made this a bunch of different ways but I prefer SmokinAl SmokinAl way using smoke in the beginning followed by a 24hr Sous Vide bath.

I used a Grobble’s brand corned beef brisket flat. Soaked in water for 8hours with 2 water changes.

After soaking the excess salt out, I patted the corned beef dry and then added a small amount of mustard followed by a slightly modified version of Meatheads Pastrami Rub. The corned beef was rubbed and placed in the refrigerator overnight.

Pastrami Rub:
4T coarse black pepper
2T coriander
1T smoked paprika
1T brown sugar
1T pickling spice mix, finely ground
2t garlic powder
2t onion powder
1t mustard powder

The next morning, the corned beef was smoked with hickory for 6hrs at 220F.

Here it is off the smoker:
95CD89E7-45EB-420D-B19B-89D81322E9A1.jpeg

Bagged for the Sous Vide:
1CEA9CD8-13E7-4831-A31D-8B168E91B3C0.jpeg

Sous Vide for 24 hours at 153F:
E6B1C27B-4BCE-4C6A-A659-BED90604D91D.jpeg

Since I was making this to store for future use, I placed the bag in an ice bath for 20 minutes prior to slicing.

Sliced for vacuum sealing. I also like to cube some for breakfast hash:
635EE432-704F-4799-AC76-044073296DB7.jpeg

2380C78B-67D0-4438-82F8-457A958E4332.jpeg

This is some good stuff as always!!!

If you made it this far, here’s a bonus....the wife and I had some time to carve pumpkins today.
57BACC91-2F42-4E77-8796-8EDF9F906E7F.jpeg

Lights off.......

BC028BDE-1FA8-47B9-8451-55F57CE75022.jpeg

Went with the Stephen King theme.

Thanks for looking,

Joe

All looks great Joe. I could go for some of that pastrami right now! That’s some artistic carving too.

All looks great Joe. I could go for some of that pastrami right now! That’s some artistic carving too.

It’s all packed away for future use...but I’d be a liar if I told you I didn’t eat any while slicing it.

I didn’t end up saving the pumpkin seeds from the pumpkin carvings. I usually do but just didn’t have the time with all the other things I was making.

great looking pastrami, got to say when I first looked at your pumpkins I thought you shot the one on the right with a shot gun, thinking what a mess, then I seen the lights off pics, holy crap that's awesome.

Reactions: Inkbirdbbq
Wow Joe that looks fantastic! I hope you had a couple cold ones in the process. And that Pennywise pumpkin is awesome you got some real talent!

John

great looking pastrami, got to say when I first looked at your pumpkins I thought you shot the one on the right with a shot gun, thinking what a mess, then I seen the lights off pics, holy crap that's awesome.

Thanks Jim, they are from stencils. I try to do one every year...and yeah they look like crap until you shut off the lights, that’s when you go “aaahhh now I see it!”

Wow Joe that looks fantastic! I hope you had a couple cold ones in the process. And that Pennywise pumpkin is awesome you got some real talent!

John

Thanks John! I cracked open a Labatt’s Blue as soon as I started but forgot to drink it because there’s a lot of concentration getting those small pieces cut out even though it’s from a stencil.

Pastrami looks great . Nice work .
Thanks Jim, they are from stencils.
I used to do these years ago . I used to take a picture with the negative setting then print it out to make the template . I would do the kids faces and my dogs .
It's amazing how it looks like nothing until you fire it up .
Nice work on those too .

Very artistic on both the pastrami and pumpkins - both look fabulous. Bravo Joe on jobs well done. BTW if you have any pastrami that doesn't fit in the freezer let me know, and I'll send you my address.

Point for sure
Chris

Joe sorry for the late reply. That Pastrami looks fantastic the Pumpkins are out of this world when lit. Points
Richie

The Pastrami looks awesome! I had no idea what the right hand pumpkin was until it was lit. Damn nice work!

Figured I’d make some more pastrami since I was out. I’ve made this a bunch of different ways but I prefer SmokinAl SmokinAl way using smoke in the beginning followed by a 24hr Sous Vide bath.

I used a Grobble’s brand corned beef brisket flat. Soaked in water for 8hours with 2 water changes.

After soaking the excess salt out, I patted the corned beef dry and then added a small amount of mustard followed by a slightly modified version of Meatheads Pastrami Rub. The corned beef was rubbed and placed in the refrigerator overnight.

Pastrami Rub:
4T coarse black pepper
2T coriander
1T smoked paprika
1T brown sugar
1T pickling spice mix, finely ground
2t garlic powder
2t onion powder
1t mustard powder

The next morning, the corned beef was smoked with hickory for 6hrs at 220F.

Here it is off the smoker:
View attachment 409540

Bagged for the Sous Vide:
View attachment 409541

Sous Vide for 24 hours at 153F:
View attachment 409542

Since I was making this to store for future use, I placed the bag in an ice bath for 20 minutes prior to slicing.

Sliced for vacuum sealing. I also like to cube some for breakfast hash:
View attachment 409543
View attachment 409544

This is some good stuff as always!!!

If you made it this far, here’s a bonus....the wife and I had some time to carve pumpkins today.
View attachment 409545

Lights off.......

View attachment 409546

Went with the Stephen King theme.

Thanks for looking,

Joe

Do you mind if I share this pictures of the pumpkins?

Pastrami looks great . Nice work .

I used to do these years ago . I used to take a picture with the negative setting then print it out to make the template . I would do the kids faces and my dogs .
It's amazing how it looks like nothing until you fire it up .
Nice work on those too .

Thanks Chop!

A few years ago somebody made a carved pumpkin for our wedding centerpiece. It was a picture of our faces from our engagement photo. I thought it was the coolest thing, especially when you have an October wedding.

Very artistic on both the pastrami and pumpkins - both look fabulous. Bravo Joe on jobs well done. BTW if you have any pastrami that doesn't fit in the freezer let me know, and I'll send you my address.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank you Chris. Too bad I wasn’t chowing down on pastrami during the carving.

I don’t consider myself to be very artistic, just being able to follow directions very well...I pride myself in that.

Dang Joe,
that Pastrami is gorgeous, and I bet it taste twice as good as it looks.
Like!

Great job a on the Jack-o'-lanterns too, they look fantastic.

Thank you for the like and kind words John. The pastrami came out good, I like it a lot better when I reheat it for Reubens and breakfast hash. My wife is doing this cleanse diet thing before she goes to Jamaica in a few weeks, so I haven’t been cooking a lot of good food.

Joe sorry for the late reply. That Pastrami looks fantastic the Pumpkins are out of this world when lit. Points
Richie

Thank you Richie! The pastrami comes out very well, especially for a store bought one. I’d really like to cure my own with a brisket flat. But brisket is more expensive than what I paid for this.

The pumpkins are always fun. When you carve with the lights on, you feel like you’re mutilating them until you kill the lights.

The Pastrami looks awesome! I had no idea what the right hand pumpkin was until it was lit. Damn nice work!

Thanks Steve, the pastrami is some good stuff! Between this and all your pickle recipes we could have a pretty niche delicatessen going here.

You can absolutely share the pictures. No credit needed since they’re from stencils online.

I also did Freddy Krueger and Grandpa Munster 2 years ago. I could upload them when I get home from work if you’re interested?

Reactions: Steve H
I am going to get a Top Round Roast to make another Corned Beef,have a brisket that I did 2 weeks ago frozen for Pastrami.
Those Pumpkins are amazing.
Richie

Reactions: xray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky