Sourdough Starters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
There are many many vids and recipes on sourdough starters. There is no wrong way to make a starter.
Remember a starter is just flour and water with some time and added patience.
You can change your feeding flour to your starters anytime after it has matured. Mature active starters can take from 24 hours to 7 days.
Discard your starter before feeding? Well you dont have to but you will have a large amount of starter and too much you can choke off the activity.
If your going to (try) to bake daily or every other day you will need to feed your starter 2x daily. If you only bake one or two times a month you can put your starter in the fridge. If you fridge you will need to feed a few hour before baking.

Below i have my 3 starters.
1. I use plain gold medal unbleached flour
2. King Arthur bread flour
3. Janies mill high protein.

Not labled is the Janies Mill.
20220629_095010.jpg

When i feed i discard and save 50g of starter. I also stopped using bottled spring water and switched to distilled. If you use tap water just make sure you dont have salt or chlorine in the water.

Here is my feeding of my starters.

50g of starter
50g water
50g flour.
20220629_092834.jpg

20220629_092912.jpg

This is my AP starter.
Just use a spatula to scrape down the starter from the jar. Yeah my jar is crusty. I only switch my starter to a new jar when its get way to crusty and the lids dont sit right.
20220629_093947.jpg

20220629_092952.jpg

Janies mill
20220629_094330.jpg

I add my water to the starter first then stir it, then my flour.
20220629_094359.jpg

My 3 in the proofer. Lids on loose.
20220629_095126.jpg

Proofer temp.
20220629_095148.jpg

This way works for me.

There are many many vids and recipes on sourdough starters. There is no wrong way to make a starter.
Remember a starter is just flour and water with some time and added patience.
You can change your feeding flour to your starters anytime after it has matured. Mature active starters can take from 24 hours to 7 days.
Discard your starter before feeding? Well you dont have to but you will have a large amount of starter and too much you can choke off the activity.
If your going to (try) to bake daily or every other day you will need to feed your starter 2x daily. If you only bake one or two times a month you can put your starter in the fridge. If you fridge you will need to feed a few hour before baking.

Below i have my 3 starters.
1. I use plain gold medal unbleached flour
2. King Arthur bread flour
3. Janies mill high protein.

Not labled is the Janies Mill.
View attachment 636135

When i feed i discard and save 50g of starter. I also stopped using bottled spring water and switched to distilled. If you use tap water just make sure you dont have salt or chlorine in the water.

Here is my feeding of my starters.

50g of starter
50g water
50g flour.
View attachment 636129

View attachment 636130

This is my AP starter.
Just use a spatula to scrape down the starter from the jar. Yeah my jar is crusty. I only switch my starter to a new jar when its get way to crusty and the lids dont sit right.
View attachment 636132

View attachment 636131

Janies mill
View attachment 636133

I add my water to the starter first then stir it, then my flour.
View attachment 636134

My 3 in the proofer. Lids on loose.
View attachment 636136

Proofer temp.
View attachment 636137

This way works for me.
You're right about the many videos (and websites). When I got into this I was baffled by all the differing "correct" methods. Use only organic flour/stay away from organic; use filtered water or bottled/any water will do, keep track of the days/don't worry about days but watch for the rise, etc, etc.
What I finally came up with that works for me is to start a new starter with white whole wheat (King Arthur). After a couple of days when it starts rising and falling I switch to feeding just plain AP.
Usually when I bake I save some of the starter to carry on, but with my last bake I just let it go and started over.
This is the 2nd day of white wheat and now I'll switch to AP for feeding.
starters.jpg
After this feeding I'll send to the fridge for a weekly feeding because I don't have a bake planned soon.
I also mix the starter and water before adding flour.....

Reactions: chopsaw
I'm on day 5 following the Carrot lady info .
I'm just using tap water , and out of 5 bags of unbleached flour , it turns out I used the one open bag that's bleached .
2nd day it was very active . 3rd day was the same .
Now it seems it's not doing anything . Smell is good , has bubbles , but it's not doubling in volume . House is to cold , but I jump start it in the oven with the light on after I feed it .
At this point I'm just gonna wait it out another few days .
Feed with the unbleached flour tomorrow and see what happens .

I'm on day 5 following the Carrot lady info .
I'm just using tap water , and out of 5 bags of unbleached flour , it turns out I used the one open bag that's bleached .
2nd day it was very active . 3rd day was the same .
Now it seems it's not doing anything . Smell is good , has bubbles , but it's not doubling in volume . House is to cold , but I jump start it in the oven with the light on after I feed it .
At this point I'm just gonna wait it out another few days .
Feed with the unbleached flour tomorrow and see what happens .
It'll come back.
What's with bleached flour, anyway? What's it good for?I bought a bag a few weeks ago by accident and don't know what to do with it. I guess I'll just use it for flouring chicken and chops for frying....

What's with bleached flour, anyway? What's it good for?
I don't know . I think I bought it when things were hard to get .
I have 3 bags of KA all purpose , 2 bags of KA bread flour , and 4 bags of KA 00 for pizza . Grabbed the open bag that was bleached .

chop

it will come back.

watch for mold, green or black then you need to toss it.
kahm yeast can develop at times, its safe but just take it off the top and feed your starter.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky