• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Sourdough loaf

sawhorseray

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2014
Nice piece of work Brian! Baking you own bread makes the house smell warm and cuddly. Like, RAY

Johnny Ray

Meat Mopper
Joined Jun 22, 2019
I’ll take 4 slices toasted with real butter and strawberry jam please!
I bet it smelled wonderful while baking.

Johnny Ray

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I totally agree, my wife always has some baking in the oven.
And yours looks delicious!
Al

pushok2018

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 12, 2017
Beautiful sourdough loaf! Damn, I can't force myself to start baking my won bread!!!

Slow42

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 18, 2019
Great looking bread. Would you mind sharing your recipe ingredients?

Brian Trommater

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 1, 2018
I got my starter from here https://breadtopia.com/store/sourdough-starter-dry/
I use this starter maintenance thanks to a member here. http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/40918/no-muss-no-fuss-starter
This the recipe I use. I use all white flour and 30 grams less water. https://bakednyc.com/bakingsociety/2017/11/01/the-simple-sourdough-tin-loaf-of-your-dreams/
This group helped me out a lot. https://www.facebook.com/groups/SourdoughBreadBaking/?ref=bookmarks

There is a learning curve but so worth it. The recipe I posted comes out good every time. I use a Lodge cast iron loaf pan. I made a cheap proofing box and put all my ingredients in day before baking. Want temp from around 76 - 84 for best results. Could use oven with light on and door cracked.

Slow42

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 18, 2019
Thanks I’ll give your recipe a crack. I’m now on my 7th loaf now, all failures. At least the last one looked great. Weighed enough to use as a boat anchor, but it was pretty. The dogs loved it my bird spit it out and he usually eats anything. I started using the sourdough starter I throw away in my regular bread making hard to tell if it does anything I really can’t taste a difference. Better than growing away. Can’t wait till I can produce an editable loaf like yours.
Funny the only thing I don’t have a problem with is the starter. I don’t even feed it until needed. Something I found in a youtube video. I pretty much don’t save anything but scrapings on side and bottom of jar.

Polka

Meat Mopper
Joined Oct 24, 2017
"Not tasting the difference" -- I'm considering starting to make sourdough, and was told by a prof. baker that the starter left on the cabinet at room temperature tastes different than culture that is kept in the fridge. Different acids produced (or not) at different temps.

Is this true?

Brian Trommater

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 1, 2018
I fairly new making SD. Its my understanding after dough done with bulk fermentation leaving in the fridge gives it more flavor.

bregent

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Mar 1, 2014
"Not tasting the difference" -- I'm considering starting to make sourdough, and was told by a prof. baker that the starter left on the cabinet at room temperature tastes different than culture that is kept in the fridge. Different acids produced (or not) at different temps.

Is this true?
Absolutely. Different ratio of acids (lactic vs acetic) are produced at different temps, and the various microbes (LAB and yeasts) favor different temps. But, you can make great sourdough bread from starter stored at high or low temps. You just need to find fermentation schedules that work for you.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.