Sourdough For Tomorrow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Mixed up some SD for tomorrows dinner.

Shaggy and not very purdy. This is just the flour and water mix at this stage. Cover and autolyse for 30 mins.
20211203_202732.jpg

The next step (forgot pics) was to cover the dough with 150g of active starter. Mix the starter to the top of doung then fold in fo 2 mins. Cover and another 30 min autolyse.
Next i added 14g os sea salt to the top. Wet fingers and presed the salt in then i did another min of stretch and fold. Stretch it dont break it.

Covered and in the proffer for an hour then stretch and fold. This was done 4 times.
20211203_224001.jpg

After the 4th fold i shaped it. Lightly flour the top, pull and spin to tighten the dough.
20211203_235201.jpg

Now in my banneton. I dont us the wood ones anymore. These bannetons are made in Germany and much better and work great when using AP flour such as this recipe.
No in a 2 gallon zip lock and counter rest or you can fridge it.

20211203_235350.jpg

BBL

Reactions: crazymoon
Finally able to post the pics.

Im using a new Lodge Pro 7qt dutch oven. Did the burn in and went in at 500* which i normally dont do.
Next time i will do a cold and lower heat to 475 bake as not to burn.

dec5.jpg

dec6.jpg

dec7.jpg

Reactions: crazymoon
Looking good!
First time I've seen adding the starter after the flour and water. There must be hundreds of ways to do do it!
500!! I just did my second ones yesterday and dropped the temp to 470 and the crust is still a little hard for me.
Also moved from the oven bottom rack to the middle rack
and it was still a little too done on the bottom. Maybe that's just the nature of sourdough....
Your posts are what got me interested in sourdough and I'm hooked :-)
Keep 'em coming!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky