Sour cream and chive buns

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
Got this recipe out of our local Farm Bureau newspaper, they print two recipes in it each week submitted by members. When I saw it I immediately knew we had to try it. It was originally published in October 1982, and took 1 st place at the Iowa State fair. I omitted the name of original poster for privacy reasons. I was a whopping 10 years old at that time! Lol. So anyways the recipe and directions

20201110_145728.jpg

Have the dry ingredients in mixer bowl, not all of the flour, it is added in after the wet ingredients and some mixing.

20201109_154033.jpg

Butter, sour cream, and milk heated in pan

20201109_154042.jpg

Kneaded by hand very shortly, after mixing with KA, maybe a minute or so and into a greased bowl

20201109_155045.jpg

After covering and let rise

20201109_170052.jpg

Knocked down then formed into buns of different sizes, we had no idea on how many this recipe made. Plus our son loves big buns...ended up with 15. Before letting them rise

20201109_170537.jpg

After letting them rise, brushed with melted butter

20201109_175225.jpg

Out of the oven

20201109_183833.jpg

Sliced these turned out light and fluffy

20201109_183958.jpg

Of course had to have one warm with butter

20201110_102402.jpg

Had a burger on one of these buns last night but guess it was so good I didn't get any pics! Oooopppsss, my bad!

But will have to say these turned out very good! Didn't have any fresh chives so used freeze dried that we had on hand...would probably add more on next go around or use fresh if available!

On a side note, for those of you that live in warmer climates and don't like snow...enjoy a nice pic while you stay nice and warm

20201110_160205.jpg

Also my wife made buttered O's today...just plain cheerios dumped in a pot with a stick of melted butter, stirred, and add some salt. So easy and not as healthy but so addictive as a munchie snack. Our 1 1/2 year old little girl loves them as much as she does popcorn. I had to laugh, she chased the cat out of the room...didn't want to share! My wife had to scold her...I was too busy laughing!

20201110_132123.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Ryan

Dang them look good! I may have to give those a try! 10 years old!!! Hell I was 2 months old lol! Love the extra pics of the snow and the dog....we have a cat .....no dog as of right now. I'd like to get the boys one in a few years when it will be there responsibility.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Dang them look good! I may have to give those a try! 10 years old!!! Hell I was 2 months old lol! Love the extra pics of the snow and the dog....we have a cat .....no dog as of right now. I'd like to get the boys one in a few years when it will be there responsibility.
Thanks Travis! They turned out really good! After the initial thought of posting I stopped to think of timeline...been a few years ago. Our youngest is 21 now and daughter is married and 28 , still no grandkids yet. So our little dobie is our baby...such a toddler!

Ryan

Man those look delicious. Was 79° here today. Btw I was 8 months old lol
Thanks Jake! We had that nice weather last week, didn't last long enough! You guys are making me feel old! But just a feeling, in my mind I'm only about 20 most days...just ignore what the body says!

Ryan

Looks darn good. The snow is pretty as I sit here with the air running on our 80 degree day.
Jim
Thanks Jim! Kinda why I shared it...temp wise it was around 30, but with the ice we had this morning my wife said I wasn't allowed to leave the house, I didn't argue. Nice big flakes, was kinda pretty so thought I'd share.

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
wow great pics they look amazing..
will have to bake some, I love the smell of fresh bread in the house..
Yummy
Oh would have been 17 then
Thank you! I agree, fresh baked bread is awesome! Not only to eat but the aroma also!

Ryan

Looks great, mmm hot-n-fresh rolls mmm!
Will try that recipe some time soon.

I was 14, the 80's were a great time for me.
Thank you! You've put out alot of great posts yourself and I have learned alot from you, still many more of your recipes to try! That's why I love this forum so much!

Ryan

Thank you! You've put out alot of great posts yourself and I have learned alot from you, still many more of your recipes to try! That's why I love this forum so much!

Ryan
Hey, you and I both have to try these rolls done as my BBQ Biscuit Bombs... Yes!

The buns look nice. The Recipe sounds good, really rich with the butter and sour cream...JJ

• Love
Reactions: hoity toit
Hey, you and I both have to try these rolls done as my BBQ Biscuit Bombs... Yes!
Absolutely! Need to show this to my wife! As a reminder to kick my butt to get this done ! Looks great, but the to do list is getting out of control.

Ryan

Reactions: chilerelleno
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky