Sonoran Style hot dogs & ring bologna w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chisoxjim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 25, 2007
saw a tv show a while back that showed a sonoran hotdog, looked interesting, even if I am from Chicago where hot dogs are taken pretty seriously(no ketchup, no mayo, etc.).

I made these today along with a ring of Daisy brand bolgna. Smoked them about an hour and a half. Wrapped these natural casing hotdogs in thin cut bacon from my buther. Topped them with shredded cheese, chili, tomato, onion, mayo, ketchup, mustard, and jalapeno slices. Also served them with a smoke/salted jalapeno.

Ring bologna was awesome as wll, I see a sandwich of that in my future.

salted jalapenos:

bologna:

bacon wrapped dogs:

q view:

more pics in a couple secs.

thanks for looking

I smoked a couple rings of Koegel's ring bologan that my brother brought me from Michigan. I wasn't real pleased because of the texture when it was done. It seemed pretty soft to me. I've got one ring left that I think I'll just eat as is. Don't forget the finished pics.

this Daisy bologna ring turned out nice, sausage texture of a kilbasa or summer sausage.

hot dogs were popping with flavor, smoke, hot, cheese, sweet, etc. ll be doing these again for sure.

dogs off the smoker:

jalapenos:

ring bologna:

dressed dog:

thanks for checkin out my lunch.

yes,

i know blaphemy for anyone over 3 to be eating ketchup on a dog, but I was trying to follow as authentic version as I could. The mayo on the hotdog seemed more wrong.
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Luckily I saved a few of those natural casing dogs to be done up right with just some mustard, and maybe some onion.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

they do them like that here but no mustard............looks damn good jim!

thanks chef rob,

Ive been wanting to try these since I saw a hot dog special where they showed some places from Arizona doing these.

i think i might have seen the same one..........lots of stands like that off the "main" drags.........

ketchup or not....those look darn good!

When we got our first hot dog up in Maine.....they asked if I wanted mayo on it. I tried it, and it was pretty good. They put celery salt and some really good, locally made relish as well.

But, I am partial to char grilled hot dogs over some nice lump, and not too many places do that. Must be a WNY thing?

thanks

my wife from the Phillipines likes mayo on her hotdogs, and I had always scoffed at it. Really not that bad on this dog.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky