Sometimes you just can’t beat charcoal.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
I decided to cook some chicken breasts for dinner tonight. I felt like charcoal so I busted out the lil weber Smokey Joe for the first time this year.

Here’s the propane grill being utilized as a table. It worked great, the side burner was used to start the charcoal chimney. Lol.
347731A8-8BF4-4E99-9BBF-805A684CE88A.jpeg

I seasoned the chicken at noon with SPOG + Italian seasoning. The chicken was put back in the fridge until dinner time. Here it is starting to look nice over the coals. I also threw a couple of small apple chunks in the coals.
0ED78720-6501-4E4C-83BA-262B4F208D50.jpeg

Chicken is done.
C7FBF012-1A3E-48E6-9D2E-1D6138109A84.jpeg

Dinner is served: Grilled chicken with chimichurri, roasted green beans and a side of wild rice.
D7BA7233-EBB2-45C8-B155-55A5EEAFEEC5.jpeg

Here’s the chimichurri, recipe below.
09A536FC-69E0-4F3A-86B6-8352C086285B.jpeg

1 bunch of fresh parsley (I just rip the top off of the bunch that is sold at the supermarket).
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 garlic gloves
1 tsp. Red pepper flakes
4 TBSP Red wine vinegar
1/2 cup Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste.

In a food processor or blender combine all ingredients except the oil. Put a couple of whacks of salt and pepper.

Pulse until coarsely chopped and then mix in the olive oil separately. Mix well and set aside.
———————————

Dinner was so good!! Hopefully a few more meals like this and I can convince the wife to let me buy a Weber kettle....or I just may show up with one, because it is easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Big like because of the exciting chimichurri on the boring grilled chicken breast. Must try the chimichurri soon!

Congrats on making the headlines on this web page!

Nice smoke!
Only down fall of that little Joe is finding some place to sit it. But a lot of steaks and burgers off of mine.
Point worthy meal.

That's a real good looking meal. The chicken looks delicious.
I have also found it easier to ask for forgiveness. However, I've also found that it's very uncomfortable sleeping in the doghouse--can't really stretch out. LOL
Gary

Thanks Gary. Well I have two big dogs that have cages in our room. They’re spoiled with memory foam doggie beds, so I may be able to weather out the storm in there.

Big like because of the exciting chimichurri on the boring grilled chicken breast. Must try the chimichurri soon!

Congrats on making the headlines on this web page!

Thanks Eddie and also thanks to Adam for giving me a ride on the carousel, I appreciate it.

Chimichurri is good stuff if you haven’t had it before. Some people use cilantro too, but this ones easy and I like the roughly chopped texture.

I like it on my steak, I had a post a few months ago where I had it with ribeye. Definitely a versatile condiment that brightens up a dish.

I decided to cook some chicken breasts for dinner tonight. I felt like charcoal so I busted out the lil weber Smokey Joe for the first time this year.

Here’s the propane grill being utilized as a table. It worked great, the side burner was used to start the charcoal chimney. Lol.
View attachment 397295

I seasoned the chicken at noon with SPOG + Italian seasoning. The chicken was put back in the fridge until dinner time. Here it is starting to look nice over the coals. I also threw a couple of small apple chunks in the coals.
View attachment 397296

Chicken is done.
View attachment 397297

Dinner is served: Grilled chicken with chimichurri, roasted green beans and a side of wild rice.
View attachment 397298

Here’s the chimichurri, recipe below.
View attachment 397299

1 bunch of fresh parsley (I just rip the top off of the bunch that is sold at the supermarket).
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 garlic gloves
1 tsp. Red pepper flakes
4 TBSP Red wine vinegar
1/2 cup Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste.

In a food processor or blender combine all ingredients except the oil. Put a couple of whacks of salt and pepper.

Pulse until coarsely chopped and then mix in the olive oil separately. Mix well and set aside.
———————————

Dinner was so good!! Hopefully a few more meals like this and I can convince the wife to let me buy a Weber kettle....or I just may show up with one, because it is easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Nice!!!
I absolutely love chimichurri.
Just an idea, out here you can find Weber Kettles that are in like new condition for less than $60 most of the time on Craigslist. I bought all three of mine of C.L. and I never paid over $50 you can find them for $40 pretty much any time for older units in good shape, like this.
https://binghamton.craigslist.org/for/d/johnson-city-weber-dome-charcoal-grill/6880054518.html

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/hsh/d/levittown-weber-original-kettle/6897810547.html

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/hsh/d/pittsburgh-weber-grill-accessories/6904488911.html

Reactions: xray
Great looking plate of food,my BBQ area is almost ready for me to start cooking. LIKES
Richie

Great finish on the chicken!

My offset has been a table sometimes, too, for my Lodge grill.

DSCF2163.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF2163.JPG
    DSCF2163.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: xray
Looks great,spend the xtra $ and get a Weber performer with gas assist light

Looks great. I haven't had a gas grill in 3 years now. Charcoal just tastes better.

Great looking meal. Weber kettles are awesome versatile grills! Thanks for posting.

Thanks guys!

Nice smoke!
Only down fall of that little Joe is finding some place to sit it. But a lot of steaks and burgers off of mine.
Point worthy meal.

Thanks for the like my friend. I usually use the Joe at the bottom of the deck stairs on the pavement, but since it was such a nice day out, I wanted to drink beer and sit on the deck.

Also showed that propane charbroil who’s boss, I hate that thing.

Nice!!!
I absolutely love chimichurri.
Just an idea, out here you can find Weber Kettles that are in like new condition for less than $60 most of the time on Craigslist. I bought all three of mine of C.L. and I never paid over $50 you can find them for $40 pretty much any time for older units in good shape, like this.
https://binghamton.craigslist.org/for/d/johnson-city-weber-dome-charcoal-grill/6880054518.html

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/hsh/d/levittown-weber-original-kettle/6897810547.html

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/hsh/d/pittsburgh-weber-grill-accessories/6904488911.html

Thanks Fork, i’ll have to give CL a try again. I looked over the winter and saw a few. Some people want way to much money for something they used....others post a deal and it’s gone in a snap.

I’ve also been using my wife’s Facebook marketplace to look also. I don’t have FB, but you think the her browsing history would drop a hint! Lol.

It’s not so much that I can’t buy or afford one, it’s just that I get the “you don’t need a charcoal grill when you have 2 smokers and a gas grill!” and “where we supposed to put all this stuff?”

Reactions: forktender
Great looking plate of food,my BBQ area is almost ready for me to start cooking. LIKES
Richie

Thanks for the like Richie, good to see you back my friend! Hopefully we see what you’re cooking soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky