1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Featured Sometimes you just can’t beat charcoal.

Discussion in 'Grilling Chicken' started by xray, Jun 4, 2019.

1. xray

xray Master of the Pit

I decided to cook some chicken breasts for dinner tonight. I felt like charcoal so I busted out the lil weber Smokey Joe for the first time this year.

Here’s the propane grill being utilized as a table. It worked great, the side burner was used to start the charcoal chimney. Lol.
    347731A8-8BF4-4E99-9BBF-805A684CE88A.jpeg

I seasoned the chicken at noon with SPOG + Italian seasoning. The chicken was put back in the fridge until dinner time. Here it is starting to look nice over the coals. I also threw a couple of small apple chunks in the coals.
    0ED78720-6501-4E4C-83BA-262B4F208D50.jpeg

Chicken is done.
    C7FBF012-1A3E-48E6-9D2E-1D6138109A84.jpeg

Dinner is served: Grilled chicken with chimichurri, roasted green beans and a side of wild rice.
    D7BA7233-EBB2-45C8-B155-55A5EEAFEEC5.jpeg

Here’s the chimichurri, recipe below.
    09A536FC-69E0-4F3A-86B6-8352C086285B.jpeg

1 bunch of fresh parsley (I just rip the top off of the bunch that is sold at the supermarket).
    2 tsp. dried oregano
    2 garlic gloves
    1 tsp. Red pepper flakes
    4 TBSP Red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup Olive Oil
    Salt and Pepper to taste.

In a food processor or blender combine all ingredients except the oil. Put a couple of whacks of salt and pepper.

Pulse until coarsely chopped and then mix in the olive oil separately. Mix well and set aside.
    ———————————

Dinner was so good!! Hopefully a few more meals like this and I can convince the wife to let me buy a Weber kettle....or I just may show up with one, because it is easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

cornman, NormsEgg, IH 1026 and 16 others like this.
  2. yankee2bbq

yankee2bbq Smoking Fanatic

Great looking meal! Chicken on the bbq grill using charcoal can’t be beat!

3. 5GRILLZNTN

5GRILLZNTN Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

forktender likes this.
  4. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That's a real good looking meal. The chicken looks delicious.
    I have also found it easier to ask for forgiveness. However, I've also found that it's very uncomfortable sleeping in the doghouse--can't really stretch out. LOL
    Gary

5. uncle eddie

uncle eddie Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Big like because of the exciting chimichurri on the boring grilled chicken breast. Must try the chimichurri soon!

Congrats on making the headlines on this web page!

6. phathead69

phathead69 Smoking Fanatic

TN
    Looks great. I haven't had a gas grill in 3 years now. Charcoal just tastes better.

7. Great looking meal. Weber kettles are awesome versatile grills! Thanks for posting.

8. hardcookin

hardcookin Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice smoke!
    Only down fall of that little Joe is finding some place to sit it. But a lot of steaks and burgers off of mine.
    Point worthy meal.

9. xray

xray Master of the Pit

Thanks guys, yeah I’ve been showing the wife pictures of the vortex wings on the kettle. Hopefully soon.

10. xray

xray Master of the Pit

Thanks Gary. Well I have two big dogs that have cages in our room. They’re spoiled with memory foam doggie beds, so I may be able to weather out the storm in there.

11. xray

xray Master of the Pit

Thanks Eddie and also thanks to Adam for giving me a ride on the carousel, I appreciate it.

Chimichurri is good stuff if you haven’t had it before. Some people use cilantro too, but this ones easy and I like the roughly chopped texture.

I like it on my steak, I had a post a few months ago where I had it with ribeye. Definitely a versatile condiment that brightens up a dish.

12. forktender

forktender Smoking Fanatic

Nice!!!
    I absolutely love chimichurri.
    Just an idea, out here you can find Weber Kettles that are in like new condition for less than $60 most of the time on Craigslist. I bought all three of mine of C.L. and I never paid over $50 you can find them for $40 pretty much any time for older units in good shape, like this.
    https://binghamton.craigslist.org/for/d/johnson-city-weber-dome-charcoal-grill/6880054518.html

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/hsh/d/levittown-weber-original-kettle/6897810547.html

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/hsh/d/pittsburgh-weber-grill-accessories/6904488911.html

xray likes this.
  13. tropics

tropics Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Great looking plate of food,my BBQ area is almost ready for me to start cooking. LIKES
    Richie

14. bluewhisper

bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great finish on the chicken!

My offset has been a table sometimes, too, for my Lodge grill.

DSCF2163.JPG

Attached Files:

xray likes this.
  15. mike243

mike243 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Looks great,spend the xtra $ and get a Weber performer with gas assist light

16. bluewhisper

bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

17. xray

xray Master of the Pit

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the like my friend. I usually use the Joe at the bottom of the deck stairs on the pavement, but since it was such a nice day out, I wanted to drink beer and sit on the deck.

Also showed that propane charbroil who’s boss, I hate that thing.

18. xray

xray Master of the Pit

Thanks Fork, i’ll have to give CL a try again. I looked over the winter and saw a few. Some people want way to much money for something they used....others post a deal and it’s gone in a snap.

I’ve also been using my wife’s Facebook marketplace to look also. I don’t have FB, but you think the her browsing history would drop a hint! Lol.

It’s not so much that I can’t buy or afford one, it’s just that I get the “you don’t need a charcoal grill when you have 2 smokers and a gas grill!” and “where we supposed to put all this stuff?”

forktender likes this.
  19. xray

xray Master of the Pit

Thanks for the like Richie, good to see you back my friend! Hopefully we see what you’re cooking soon.

20. xray

xray Master of the Pit

Thanks for the kind words and also for the extra temptation, I’ll be sure to bookmark the link.