Sometimes, Mother Nature takes over

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
yer an evil man shorts. to dutch- i don't know why an eastern bird nested there ..unless a)it's dyslexic(don't know east from west),b)yer just that cool, c) ya don't smoke enough, or d) yer just that cool......i'd prolly go w/ the nice guy thing.... ( notice i haven't cooked kittens yet even though the dog would eatthem & they think my planters are litter boxes... i'm getting great joy from a squirt bottle & no sleep...

Did you see the breast? ... and are you sure it isn't a Robin?
Or perhaps it could be a Starling ... take a look at this
icon_arrow.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Starling

LMAO ...that one probably has a squirrel's nest in it , when you finally dig it out,.....any takers on 5 - 1 odds ?? ...lol.....just kiddin ya Dutch , it was there had to say it
icon_mrgreen.gif

mother nature did me dirty today. i was about 3/4 thru my smoke, when it started pouring rain like you wouldn't believe. i mean, i am just sitting on the bench, watching the smoker, and BOOM it starts pouring...hard. i had just brought out a pizza pan to put the ABT's and sausage links on. i took them off, and put the oven on 250°. took the rack from the smoker to the stove, put the meat in (foiled the pork, since it was at 160° anyway) and it stopped raining after about 3 minutes. i was pissed. i would have just left it in the smoker, but my temp dropped to 150° when the rain hit. i am thinking of building some type of cover over the smoker. my landlord said once we need to make it a covered porch. i would like to go a step further, and make it a screened in porch.

Be careful, them kittens could kill a dog that big real easy, yep, they could get stuck in its throat!

Sorry, old joke.

Funny to be reading about birds nest though, a buddy came by today for a set and was telling me that he caught a bird starting a nest in his grill (Truck grill that is) So, the first trip out he just kind of shews momma away and cleans out the little that she had started. The next trip out he finds that she has started over and again runs her off and cleans out the nest and moves the truck. The next trip, he realizes not only did she find the truck, but she is getting better at building nest with all of the practice and almost has one complete. So he set the nest someplace and is hoping the momma will find it.

Paul, I have a Robin building a nest in my Maple tree in the front yard-that bird has a red breast. The one in the smoker looks similar to the one on the European Starling page, but the wings are just a bit darker without a lot of the white.

We are down to two little birds in the smoker now. One followed it's momma up through the smoker vent. My pups chased it under the sons Ram Charger and through the fence where it was promptly pounced upon by the neighbors dog.
icon_cry.gif

We have a lot of starlings around here and the lighter bits are hard to notice close up ... they generally look a dull brown.
Perhaps you'll get lucky Dutch and get that pic ... if there are any survivors.
icon_razz.gif

If mama bird looks like that, it's definitly not an eastern bluebird! Sounds like a starling to me. Wrens have a habit of getting in the most unusual places around here. If they nest there once, they will return to the same spot each year. Better cover that smoker better next year
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky