Something different?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Ok I'm making a pulled pork and some ABT's for a chrismas get together. And just ABT's for another. I'm looking for some different ideas to stuff/wrap/season. Something other than the usual that i do. Most the time its just cream cheese , cheese and a little rub and they go over really well. Was thinking about maybe using brie and some kind of jam to stuff them with??? I dont know. Anyone have any ideas? Something more along the lines of holiday type appetizers.

If you are not looking exclusively at ABT's you could try meat candy.
They are an appy we started making a couple yrs ago.
Pit large medjool dates
Hot / Spicy Italian sausage, Stuff dates plump
Wrap in bacon and smoke / grill / bake until bacon is cooked and stuffing is cooked.
The sweet and spicy combined with bacon are great. My wife does not eat dates but loves these treats.
We did some ABT's and stuffed with shrimp and cream cheese then bacon wrapped, they were quite good.

When wrapping ABTs with bacon, I find it's easier to partially cook/bake the bacon until it has shrunk and toughened up... Wrap while it is limp... then you get crisp bacon on the outside..

Reactions: un4gvn1
Add pulled pork, bacon or shrimp to the filling.
Add a tropical fruit salsa, chutney or jam.
Such as mango or pineapple.
Yes, use different cheeses, find good soft melting cheeses.

Use whole chiles not halves.

Batter and deep fry them.

Using a large whole jalapeno, stuff with a whole shrimp and cheese, wrap in half a strip of bacon, batter and deep fry.
We call those Range Rattlers.

If you are not looking exclusively at ABT's you could try meat candy.
They are an appy we started making a couple yrs ago.
Pit large medjool dates
Hot / Spicy Italian sausage, Stuff dates plump
Wrap in bacon and smoke / grill / bake until bacon is cooked and stuffing is cooked.
The sweet and spicy combined with bacon are great. My wife does not eat dates but loves these treats.
We did some ABT's and stuffed with shrimp and cream cheese then bacon wrapped, they were quite good.

Man this sounds really good. I'm definitely making the Aunt's but I may have to add this to go along with!

I did an experiment with different cheeses and the surprising winner was goat cheese. Cut the stems off the jalapeños, clean out the inside, blanch in boiling water for about 1 minute, stuff with goat cheese and smoke upright. You get a milder pepper that has great jalapeño flavor and the goat cheese works really well.

Reactions: jokensmoken
I did an experiment with different cheeses and the surprising winner was goat cheese. Cut the stems off the jalapeños, clean out the inside, blanch in boiling water for about 1 minute, stuff with goat cheese and smoke upright. You get a milder pepper that has great jalapeño flavor and the goat cheese works really well.
My family loves goat cheeses! Thanks!

Add pulled pork, bacon or shrimp to the filling.
Add a tropical fruit salsa, chutney or jam.
Such as mango or pineapple.
Yes, use different cheeses, find good soft melting cheeses.

Use whole chiles not halves.

Batter and deep fry them.

Using a large whole jalapeno, stuff with a whole shrimp and cheese, wrap in half a strip of bacon, batter and deep fry.
We call those Range Rattlers.
Thanks for the ideas. The shrimp sounds fantastic!

When wrapping ABTs with bacon, I find it's easier to partially cook/bake the bacon until it has shrunk and toughened up... Wrap while it is limp... then you get crisp bacon on the outside..
This sounds like a great idea! Seams like it would help keep the bacon sticking to itself when wrapping.

Ok so question about stuffing with shrimp. Should I add raw or cooked shrimp?

Raw shrimp or it'll over cook.
I put a shrimp in and then pipe my cheese mix in next to it.
A Ziploc bag with a corner cut of makes filling chiles very easy.
Ok, that's that's what I figured. Thanks! I have used the zip lock trick several times. Works awesome!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky