Some tips and a couple questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

azgramps

Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Sierra Vista, Arizona, USofA
I am a newbie to the SMF family but hope to find a comfortable chair near a lake to sit and talk about the one's that got away with you all.

I am also a new smoker at least in most terms I would consider myself a total newbie. I posted about me etc in the forums for new members so I wont bore you with the details.

My current smoker: Smoke Hollow 30168e model electric smoker.

Okay trials and tribulations part:

I have smoked ribs, different cuts of beef and chicken, and this weekend some pond trout which is one of my concerns. The fish turned out tasting like dirt to me, I brined in water, salt and brown sugar for over 10 hours. Smoked low using Apple and Hickory chunks.

I am not concerned that my other meats will be tasting like dirt should I scrub the inside and start fresh or burn another bunch of wood through it or leave it?

Most of my meat is done way earlier than expected. I did a small turkey (10lb) and it was done in like 3.5 hours the temp on the outside (I know I have read many of those threads already) read around 250, the outdoor temp was mid 80's

I also have ALWAYS used the water pan when I smoke and mostly with just water in it. The wood box is stuffed full of chips and chunks and those are always soaked in water prior. I have never seen the wood not charred inside and have two times now refilled it 1/2 way through the process.

So questions I guess:

1) should I clean the inside after the trout problem?

2) should I use water in the pan?

3) is the wood burning the way it should?

4) should the water be on the shelf with the wood (just above the element for those not owning this model)

5) should I use a bigger water or wood box

6) how do I control the temp with an electric smoker

7) totally separate but does anyone use the pellet smoker I see on Amazon or Lowes? It looks like the pellets provide the flame and the smoke is this right?

8) how do I convince the missus I need a new smoker? :)

I know you are all thinking this dumb newbie just drops in and bombards us with questions shame on him, but what the heck I am trying to become just the almost not newbie smoker in the group.

Thanks So much for your help,

I am a newbie to the SMF family but hope to find a comfortable chair near a lake to sit and talk about the one's that got away with you all.

I am also a new smoker at least in most terms I would consider myself a total newbie. I posted about me etc in the forums for new members so I wont bore you with the details.

My current smoker: Smoke Hollow 30168e model electric smoker.

Okay trials and tribulations part:

I have smoked ribs, different cuts of beef and chicken, and this weekend some pond trout which is one of my concerns. The fish turned out tasting like dirt to me, I brined in water, salt and brown sugar for over 10 hours. Smoked low using Apple and Hickory chunks.

I am not concerned that my other meats will be tasting like dirt should I scrub the inside and start fresh or burn another bunch of wood through it or leave it?

Most of my meat is done way earlier than expected. I did a small turkey (10lb) and it was done in like 3.5 hours the temp on the outside (I know I have read many of those threads already) read around 250, the outdoor temp was mid 80's

I also have ALWAYS used the water pan when I smoke and mostly with just water in it. The wood box is stuffed full of chips and chunks and those are always soaked in water prior. I have never seen the wood not charred inside and have two times now refilled it 1/2 way through the process.

So questions I guess:

1) should I clean the inside after the trout problem?

Is the inside smell like bitter smoke? You may have creosote buildup. If so then go ahead and clean it.

2) should I use water in the pan?

Yes go ahead and use water.

3) is the wood burning the way it should?

Soaking your wood does very little to help the smoke. Then, to get it smoking you have to dry the wood anyways before it will smoke.

4) should the water be on the shelf with the wood (just above the element for those not owning this model)

Not Familiar with your smoker.

5) should I use a bigger water or wood box

Above

6) how do I control the temp with an electric smoker

Do you have any temperature control?  With practice, you will learn how to control temperature spikes. Make sure you get a new accurate thermometer and test it for accuracy. You eventually will accumulate several :-). 

7) totally separate but does anyone use the pellet smoker I see on Amazon or Lowes? It looks like the pellets provide the flame and the smoke is this right?

don't know of the product

8) how do I convince the missus I need a new smoker? :)

Burn everything and say, "Delicious!"

I know you are all thinking this dumb newbie just drops in and bombards us with questions shame on him, but what the heck I am trying to become just the almost not newbie smoker in the group.

That'w why we're here!

Thanks So much for your help,

By the way, have you been to roll call? If not please go there, and tell us something about yourself. Also, please put in a location so we know what part of the world you're from!

Hello, I'm a newbie too, and I love to fish!

Where I live we don't have trout, that's a northwestern thing. We fish for white perch (aka crappie), bass, catfish, etc.

When I first read your question, I thought maybe your trout tasting like dirt has nothing to do with your smoker.

Maybe it's what they are feeding on right now?

I don't know much about trout, but I think they feed on worms and bugs. Right now it's cold outside and bugs should be less active, so maybe the trout are feeding on lots of dirt grubbing worms?

I'd try grilling a little piece of the trout in a skillet, no seasoning, to see if the dirt flavor is still there.

p.s. Bribe your wife for a new smoker; tell her she can buy a new pair of boots if you can buy a new smoker. ;)

Hello AzGramps,

I have re-read your post.  While I do not have any experience with the Smoke Hollow smoker, I do have an electric.  I have not yet used any type of water bowl in the smoker for any thing and do not soak the wood.  I set the temp to what I want, put a 2 or 3 ounce chunk of hickory in the box, turn it on and that is that. Everything turns out great (I did ruin a butt early on - 12 ounces of hickory - and had a creosote covered butt that even the dog did not want). I have since learned that the smoke is only effective for the first couple of hours, at least that is my assumption and we are happy with the results. So even on an overnight smoke, I still use only a small amount or wood, never more than 4 ounce and always chunk, no chips.

My smoker is relatively tight so the meats moisture is retained and the meat is never dried out. I am also careful to not over smoke: no large amounts of billowing smoke, just sort of light in color and whispy.  

Your on-board temp control should be fairly accurate, fluctuating up and down like an oven or furnace but maintaining an average as set. You might want to get a Maverick that allows you to monitor internal meat temp as well as the smoker temp and adjust your controller as necessary.

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]8) how do I convince the missus I need a new smoker? :) Each wife is different and your results may vary![/color]

Hope this helps.

AZGramps:  I too currently use electric, but am considering the switch to pellet...let me know what your research shows you.  I've read many reviews and still am not really sure what pellet smoker would best suit my needs...I'm leaning toward the FastEddie or MAK--not sure I need to spend that much, but I'd rather spend it now than buy something cheaper and try to trade up later, ya know?

On the trout thing, I have yet to smoke them, but it could be the fish. You said they were trout of a pond. Sometimes they start tasting mossy. It's a simple matter of what they've been eating. There are some lakes that just produce nasty tasting trout and there's not much to be done about it, except to not fish there. I normally will take my trout fresh as can be if possible, so that normally means rolled in corn meal and pan fried. If I ever get into a bunch near my house, I'll try smoking them in a way very different from what is recommended on here, but I can (hopefully) get away with that because I can run my smoker hot enough to bake them.

Thanks everyone, the trout I am almost certain are a result of being in Parker Canyon Lake which is a stretch of the word Lake. Not sure what the size is but it cannot be that big. When we were fishing we were able to first see the fish when they were only 10-16 inch off the surface so the water is still pretty murky after the summer. I am also pretty sure that the water quality and silty dirt caused the issue, I would hate to believe my smoker which has never done that to meat is the cause.

I have my mind set on a pellet smoker but the missus already said she aint paying for it :) So will have to save my allowance up I guess.

Have a Happy New Year everyone

Hello AzGramps,

I have re-read your post.  While I do not have any experience with the Smoke Hollow smoker, I do have an electric.  I have not yet used any type of water bowl in the smoker for any thing and do not soak the wood.  I set the temp to what I want, put a 2 or 3 ounce chunk of hickory in the box, turn it on and that is that. Everything turns out great (I did ruin a butt early on - 12 ounces of hickory - and had a creosote covered butt that even the dog did not want). I have since learned that the smoke is only effective for the first couple of hours, at least that is my assumption and we are happy with the results. So even on an overnight smoke, I still use only a small amount or wood, never more than 4 ounce and always chunk, no chips.

My smoker is relatively tight so the meats moisture is retained and the meat is never dried out. I am also careful to not over smoke: no large amounts of billowing smoke, just sort of light in color and whispy.  

Your on-board temp control should be fairly accurate, fluctuating up and down like an oven or furnace but maintaining an average as set. You might want to get a Maverick that allows you to monitor internal meat temp as well as the smoker temp and adjust your controller as necessary.

[color= rgb(24,24,24)]8) how do I convince the missus I need a new smoker? :) Each wife is different and your results may vary![/color]

Hope this helps.
Wow 2-4 oz of wood? I have my wood box (measures around 5x5) stuffed full is that part of my overall problem? should it have some breathing room?

I am going to try 1 ounce when smoking only 1 rack of ribs, just to see what it tastes like.  

Hello everyone, instead of starting a new thread I thought I would update you on this past weekend. I smoked a Pork Tenderloin keeping the temps down to about 175-190. It took a lot longer than anything I had ever smoked and that is directly due to lower cooking temps, I was able to see my first smoke ring when I sliced the pork, and I am happy/sad to report the meat did not taste like dirt, Happy because I can continue to smoke, sad because I have no real excuse (YET) to get a pellet. 

I marinated it overnight with various herbs including Tony's Cajun seasoning, season salt, garlic powder and then I squirted Mustard and rubbed that in with brown sugar. I need to address my rub and the injection was heavy on the apple cider vinegar which did not ruin the meal but did not really add to it.

I used a single chunk of Hicory about 2 oz and still have about 1/2 of it left and had smoke the entire time.

Thanks everyone

Morning Gramps..

Of the 4 smokers that I own (doesn't everyone need 4....or more?), the easiest one for me is my Cookshack electric. I use only 1 to 2 oz of wood (dry...never soaked) and no water pan. I have used chips, chunks, and pellets with great quality finished products. This unit is very tight and holds moisture very well.

All of that being said, I have to believe the fish was your problem....not the smoker. A small warm water pond is going to give up some less than great fish due to what they have to eat...IMHO. If you don't have a large cold lake or river close by, maybe try a farm raised from the grocery store as a test....same brine, seasonings, etc.

Brad

If all else fails with the fish, there are always the three 'Cs' to success:

1. Cornmeal

2. Crisco

3. Cast iron

Enjoy

Last edited:
Thanks for the update in the same thread, I may have missed it otherwise.

I'm glad I could contribute to the troubleshooting process!
thumb1%20copy.gif

Also, to add to old sarges suggestion: You can coat that fillet in blackening seasoning (if fillet is thin, go easy on the seasoning), grill in cast iron skillet, top it with some sauteed shrimp or lump crab meat, and then swim it in a cream sauce or hollandaise. MmmmMmm!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky