A New Build: 24x30 Vertical Offset - A Custom Build For JLeonard!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Test burn - Round 2!

It rained here all morning, so I wasn't able to get Jim's smoker out of the shop and fire it up until after 11:00.

Today's objective: build a fire in the CC coal basket and see how it draws and how hot it'll get.

Started with a big chimney full of lump coal.

View attachment 697304

I opened up the FB door, and both dampers wide open.

View attachment 697305

After a few minutes, the coal was nice and hot so I spread it out a bit and ran it under the lowest grate for a few minutes. Forgot to take a pic, but that grate got screaming hot in just a few minutes - over *600.

View attachment 697306

So next, I pulled the lowest grate out and threw a couple of half-splits on the coals.

View attachment 697307

This is the top thermometer, which is maybe 12-15" above the coal bed. The temp cruised up to *400 in just a few minutes.

View attachment 697308

And finally plateaued and stayed at 450*. I figure the temps on the lower grate was easily in the *700 range by this time.

View attachment 697309

So 2nd test burn is a success! The pit is still too hot to work on it now, but either later today, or certainly by tomorrow morning, I'm gonna get it ready to paint. Barring setbacks, I really think it'll be ready to go home with Jim by the weekend!

I'll post a final update when I get it painted!

Red
OH man! My heart is going pitter patter! civilsmoker civilsmoker thank you for talking me into the VCC fire pan! Guess I'll go ahead and get that trailer at u-haul rented. Woohoo!

Jim

Test burn - Round 2!

It rained here all morning, so I wasn't able to get Jim's smoker out of the shop and fire it up until after 11:00.

Today's objective: build a fire in the CC coal basket and see how it draws and how hot it'll get.

Started with a big chimney full of lump coal.

View attachment 697304

I opened up the FB door, and both dampers wide open.

View attachment 697305

After a few minutes, the coal was nice and hot so I spread it out a bit and ran it under the lowest grate for a few minutes. Forgot to take a pic, but that grate got screaming hot in just a few minutes - over *600.

View attachment 697306

So next, I pulled the lowest grate out and threw a couple of half-splits on the coals.

View attachment 697307

This is the top thermometer, which is maybe 12-15" above the coal bed. The temp cruised up to *400 in just a few minutes.

View attachment 697308

And finally plateaued and stayed at 450*. I figure the temps on the lower grate was easily in the *700 range by this time.

View attachment 697309

So 2nd test burn is a success! The pit is still too hot to work on it now, but either later today, or certainly by tomorrow morning, I'm gonna get it ready to paint. Barring setbacks, I really think it'll be ready to go home with Jim by the weekend!

I'll post a final update when I get it painted!

Red
Yup that’s a big 10-4 answer to if it’s gonna cook!!!! Very nicely done!

Oh and if a more smoky tone is desired the VCC can also be lower and slow with coals!

You have built a top shelf cooker!!!
OH man! My heart is going pitter patter! civilsmoker civilsmoker thank you for talking me into the VCC fire pan! Guess I'll go ahead and get that trailer at u-haul rented. Woohoo!

Jim
You are welcome Jim and I believe you are going to have fun learning all the new ways to cook on that thing! Your BBQ/smoking world is about to change forever!!! Enjoy and drive safely!

Last edited:
Last Build Update!!

This project is complete! Finished up the paint on Thursday, and after letting the paint dry and set for a couple days, I went out this morning and removed all the painter's tape and put all the hardware back on. Here are some pics of the finished product:

Painted with 1200* high heat paint in satin black. The rolling patio cart has 8" heavy duty casters - 2 of which are double-locking. There is a 10" x 40" fixed work table o the front of the cabinet.

img160.jpg

img161.jpg

Pivoting rain cap/damper with cool touch handle.

img163.jpg

img164.jpg

I installed 2 probe wire ports, and 4 cargo tie-down rings.

img165.jpg

img166.jpg

A slide-out ash pan in the FB.

img167.jpg

With a slide-out log rack and a V-basket.

img168.jpg

Also a slide-out in the bottom of the CC that has a water pan...or Jim could leave it empty and simply use it as a baffle. It also doubles as an ash pan when VCC direct-fire cooking.

img169.jpg

4 slide-out cooking racks. Each rack is 23 1/2" x 26 1/2"...for a total area of 2491 sq. inches of cooking space.

img170.jpg

Remove bottom rack, and replace it with the slide-in VCC coal basket, and it becomes a direct heat cooker.

img171.jpg

img172.jpg

Somebody - I think it was Keith JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 asked if cooking racks could be stored on the bottom storage rack. Here's a pic of the 4th rack fitting nicely underneath.

img173.jpg

This has sure been a fun build, and I'm pretty proud of how it turned out! Thanks to Jim JLeonard JLeonard for giving me the honor of building it to his custom specs! He's coming to pick it up tomorrow...so I'm sure we'll take some pics of Jim standing next to it - hopefully with a big smile on his face!

And Jim - ya better bring lots of cargo straps, moving blankets, etc...this thing is HEAVY! I can't say for sure...but I estimate it probably weighs somewhere around 800 lbs.

I also want to say again how much I appreciate all the guys that have followed along with this build - and for all the encouraging comments and helpful advice. Thanks again everyone!

Red

Last edited:
Last Build Update!!

This project is complete! Finished up the paint on Thursday, and after letting the paint dry and set for a couple days, I went out this morning and removed all the painter's tape and put all the hardware back on. Here are some pics of the finished product:

Painted with 1200* high heat paint in satin black. The rolling patio cart has 8" heavy duty casters - 2 of which are double-locking. There is a 10" x 40" fixed work table o the front of the cabinet.

View attachment 697524

View attachment 697525

Pivoting rain cap/damper with cool touch handle.

View attachment 697526

View attachment 697527

I installed 2 probe wire ports, and 4 cargo tie-down rings.

View attachment 697528

View attachment 697529

A slide-out ash pan in the FB.

View attachment 697530

With a slide-out log rack and a V-basket.

View attachment 697531

Also a slide-out in the bottom of the CC that has a water pan...or Jim could leave it empty and simply use it as a baffle. It also doubles as an ash pan when VCC direct-fire cooking.

View attachment 697532

4 slide-out cooking racks. Each rack is 23 1/2" x 26 1/2"...for a total area of 2491 sq. inches of cooking space.

View attachment 697533

Remove bottom rack, and replace it with the slide-in VCC coal basket, and it become a direct heat cooker.

View attachment 697534

View attachment 697535

Somebody - I think it was Keith JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 asked if cooking racks could be stored on the bottom storage rack. Here's a pic of the 4th rack fitting nicely underneath.

View attachment 697536

This has sure been a fun build, and I'm pretty proud of how it turn out! Thanks to Jim JLeonard JLeonard for giving me the honor of building it to his custom specs! He's coming to pick it up tomorrow...so I'm sure we'll take some pics of Jim standing next to it - hopefully with a big smile on his face!

And Jim - ya better bring lots of cargo straps, moving blankets, etc...this thing is HEAVY! I can't say for sure...but I estimate it probably weighs somewhere around 800 lbs.

I also want to say again how much I appreciate all the guys that have followed along with this build - and for all the encouraging comments and helpful advice. Thanks again everyone!

Red

Hey buddy, sorry life has gotten in the way here recently…

That is one beyond phenomenal smoker seenred seenred and I know JLeonard JLeonard is going to enjoy that so much! Man am I envious!

Hey Jim… my last offer to not have you pushing that heavy ol thing around… My porch and that smoker would be a match! 😂😉

Kidding aside, I know you’ll enjoy that… such a beaut!

I'm pretty proud of how it turn out

Red... As you should be... This is a thing of beauty for sure... Awesome, just Awesome...

JLeonard JLeonard ... You too should be proud (which I'm sure you are)... Being the owner of such great crafstmanship...

I'm thinking y'all should fire it up together for it's maiden voyage/christening cook....

Ether way... Awesome job Red ... It's been fun following along..
Jim... Enjoy your new toy ...

So now where are we all gonna get our build fix... I irvin78787884 is pretty much done with his as well...

Last edited:
Reactions: seenred
Beautiful Job seenred seenred I am sure Jim is going to love it! Love the direct cook addition. Really makes that such a versatile smoker! Can't wait to see some of Jims cooks on that Beauty!!

Reactions: seenred
Oh wow! Joel thank you does not even come close to saying how much I appreciate this smoker. I am overwhelmed with the amount of thought and detail you put into it. I can’t wait to put it to work! And I want to thank civilsmoker civilsmoker for his as well as everyone else’s suggestions.
trailer is reserved, hope I got enough straps, and I’ll be sure to get furniture pads when I get the trailer. It’s gonna be a long ride to Oklahoma dealing with the anticipation of seeing it in person!

Jim

Hey buddy, sorry life has gotten in the way here recently…

No worries my friend! I know for sure how that can happen!
That is one beyond phenomenal smoker seenred seenred and I know JLeonard JLeonard is going to enjoy that so much! Man am I envious!

Hey Jim… my last offer to not have you pushing that heavy ol thing around… My porch and that smoker would be a match! 😂😉

Kidding aside, I know you’ll enjoy that… such a beaut!

I really appreciate it Justin! It's been fun to watch it come together.

And I'm sure Jim appreciates you being willing to take it off his hands! :emoji_wink: :emoji_sweat_smile:

Red

Reactions: JLeonard
Red... As you should be... This is a thing of beauty for sure... Awesome, just Awesome...

JLeonard JLeonard ... You too should be proud (which I'm sure you are)... Being the owner of such great crafstmanship...

I'm thinking y'all should fire it up together for it's maiden voyage/christening cook....

Ether way... Awesome job Red ... It's been fun following along..
Jim... Enjoy your new toy ...

So now where are we all gonna get our build fix... I irvin78787884 is pretty much done with his as well...

I really appreciate it Keith! I sure need someone else to provide our build fix LOL...I've got some side projects and honey-do's that I promised to do first before I take on another big project like this!

Red

Oh wow! Joel thank you does not even come close to saying how much I appreciate this smoker. I am overwhelmed with the amount of thought and detail you put into it. I can’t wait to put it to work! And I want to thank civilsmoker civilsmoker for his as well as everyone else’s suggestions.
trailer is reserved, hope I got enough straps, and I’ll be sure to get furniture pads when I get the trailer. It’s gonna be a long ride to Oklahoma dealing with the anticipation of seeing it in person!

Jim

And I can't wait to see all the cook threads you're gonna do on this pit Jim! I can tell you from the first experience with Ryan's Brokenhandle Brokenhandle pit, it's really cool to follow a cooking thread from one of your buddies...and to be able to say, "Hey - I built that pit!"

Sounds like you've thought of everything - not sure what else you might need. I'm assuming the trailer you got has a ramp? Our biggest challenge might be rolling this heavy sucker up the ramp getting it in the trailer!

Red

This has been a very enjoyable follow. seenred seenred you do AMAZING work. Am I going to see ads for Double Lundy Smokers soon??? I'll put my order in.
I too am jealous JLeonard JLeonard Can't wait to see what comes outta that baby.
Huge Congrats to you both. You both should be very Proud!!!!!

Thanks a bunch HQ! I really appreciate you following along!

I don't think I'll be starting a pitbuilding business any time soon LOL! I'm too old and slow to turn them out fast enough to satisfy most customers. I'm thankful to Jim for being patient...I told him at the beginning that I'm slow! I did have over a month of down time because of welder breakdowns, but it took me about 5 months to build it from start to finish.

Wow, that turned out amazing. Very nice job. Can't wait to see all the good stuff that comes outta there. 👍

Thank you JLinza - much appreciated!

Red

Beautiful Job seenred seenred I am sure Jim is going to love it! Love the direct cook addition. Really makes that such a versatile smoker! Can't wait to see some of Jims cooks on that Beauty!!

Thanks Sean! I really liked the idea of making this a multifunction cooker - the direct-fire cooking addition was an idea that came from civilsmoker civilsmoker - all credit to him for the idea because Jim and I both loved it!

Red

Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky