Some Salamis are finishing...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Updated Chamber pic...

Low in the back are the 3 Hampshire hog Coppas from the hogs we butchered. Middle left are the Breasola I just added, middle right are the Calabrian Wild hog Coppas. Fiocco is in front of those, then the Culatello. The salami hanging are the Campagnia...those will be ready in about 2-2.5 weeks.
IMG_20210415_114744.jpg

Updated Chamber pic. 10/19/2021..
IMG_20211019_204010421.jpg

Just the culatello and fiocco along with water bottles (for thermal mass-keeps temps. even for longer)

Updated chamber pic.
IMG_20211027_190915485.jpg

Added:
(2) 4.25" Goose/Wild Boar Genoa

(10) 38-42mm Wild Boar Salsiccia di Calabria Piccante

Color definitely intensified after fermentation. Mold coverage should takeover within a week.

Last edited:
Updated chamber pic. Dec. 17. 2021:
IMG_20211217_170525215.jpg

Added the Berkshire Culatello Dec. 3rd so this is two weeks after hanging in the chamber. In the middle hanging low....good mold growth. 5.9% weight loss...that will slow down dramatically in about 2 months.

Inda, you have convinced me to start making cured sausage. Those look great! A while back you recommended a book for me to get started, do you have any other to add to my list?

Inda, you have convinced me to start making cured sausage. Those look great! A while back you recommended a book for me to get started, do you have any other to add to my list?
Buy the yellow one and read it cover to cover....3 times....before you attempt your first salami. Get your chamber set up, up and running for about a week prior to starting your first salami. It is a steep learning curve, but that yellow book puts all the pieces of the puzzle together in an easy to read, understandable way. Learn the 4 safety hurdles. Follow the degree hour tables for safe fermentation. The hardest part for me was troubleshooting my chamber. That will be where you spend the bulk of your time babysitting your product-and it is crucial you get it right. Small diameter salami and salumi is more forgiving if your parameters are not perfect. slight dry rim will not cause problems and can be remedied by vacsealing and a nap in the fridge to equalize. So your first salami needs to be a 32-35mm hog casing...cacciatorre, pepperoni, or something like that. Use that one to judge how well your chamber parameters are dialed in, make adjustments, then tackle a larger salami. Re-assess and make adjustments. Continue dialing in your parameters and perfecting your chamber. Learn to spot problems soon and make adjustments.....before it becomes an issue. Case hardening is the #1 problem with home dry curing so you want as minimal airflow as you can manage, and it helps to run the RH% 80-85% to help prevent case hardening in a frost free home drying chamber.
If everything is going good, you can try a copa or lomo...maybe a 4-5" salami.
Hardest to dry would be the large cuts like prosciutto and culatello...and salami over 6" in diameter.

Buy the yellow one and read it cover to cover....3 times....before you attempt your first salami. Get your chamber set up, up and running for about a week prior to starting your first salami. It is a steep learning curve, but that yellow book puts all the pieces of the puzzle together in an easy to read, understandable way. Learn the 4 safety hurdles. Follow the degree hour tables for safe fermentation. The hardest part for me was troubleshooting my chamber. That will be where you spend the bulk of your time babysitting your product-and it is crucial you get it right. Small diameter salami and salumi is more forgiving if your parameters are not perfect. slight dry rim will not cause problems and can be remedied by vacsealing and a nap in the fridge to equalize. So your first salami needs to be a 32-35mm hog casing...cacciatorre, pepperoni, or something like that. Use that one to judge how well your chamber parameters are dialed in, make adjustments, then tackle a larger salami. Re-assess and make adjustments. Continue dialing in your parameters and perfecting your chamber. Learn to spot problems soon and make adjustments.....before it becomes an issue. Case hardening is the #1 problem with home dry curing so you want as minimal airflow as you can manage, and it helps to run the RH% 80-85% to help prevent case hardening in a frost free home drying chamber.
If everything is going good, you can try a copa or lomo...maybe a 4-5" salami.
Hardest to dry would be the large cuts like prosciutto and culatello...and salami over 6" in diameter.
My friend, thus is information worth paying for. I will research more while I decide what to set up as my chamber. Found an establishment a few weeks ago that sales used fridge and freezers. I believe this will be where I find my future chamber. When I get closer to set up, I may reach out to you for set up recommendations. Thank you very much and have a Merry Christmas

Thanks guys. After the holidays....and after the wild hog has been in the freezer long enough, I plan on making a lot of salami in January. And depending on how quickly I can get my double door freezer up and running, I will be making a lot of it!

Sorry if my post show twice, I have a lot of trouble with messaging. Starting to think maybe it's my phone. Anyway, here is the place I found.

My friend, thus is information worth paying for. I will research more while I decide what to set up as my chamber. Found an establishment a few weeks ago that sales used fridge and freezers. I believe this will be where I find my future chamber. When I get closer to set up, I may reach out to you for set up recommendations. Thank you very much and have a Merry Christmas
I highly recommend a freezer instead of a refrigerator. You will have more space to hang product with no divider in the middle to remove....less work. You will be high jacking the thermostat on the freezer anyways to shut off around 53*F. Also- freezers usually are insulated better; thicker walls, and this will give you a longer time between temp. set points so your compressor will not run but every so often. My chamber currently runs on a 3.5 hour cycle...or about 8 cycles a day. The extra cycle is when I open the door for air exchange and to weigh product....

I highly recommend a freezer instead of a refrigerator. You will have more space to hang product with no divider in the middle to remove....less work. You will be high jacking the thermostat on the freezer anyways to shut off around 53*F. Also- freezers usually are insulated better; thicker walls, and this will give you a longer time between temp. set points so your compressor will not run but every so often. My chamber currently runs on a 3.5 hour cycle...or about 8 cycles a day. The extra cycle is when I open the door for air exchange and to weigh product....
Glad to know that now, I was looking at fridges. Just assuming it was the way to go. Thanks Inda

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky