Some questions from a new guy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

dragonslayer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
I am new to the forum and a only recently started smoking my own meat. I come from family with a culinary background so I am not completely stupid when it comes to smoking. In fact my uncle is in the smoked fish business. Last night I did my first smoking-a 5lb brisket in my home made metal garbage can BBQ/smoker It came out pretty good for my first ever smoke. I am going to adjust the rub to my taste for next time as I followed a recipie that I feel can use a little tweeking. The flavor and texture came out pretty good and I got a solid consistant grey color throughout. I would have gone a little more rare but I need to keep others in mind on this. My question is what should I do and what should I not do to promote a good crust and smoke ring???

smokemack

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Jul 21, 2006
Erie Colorado
Welcome dragonslayer, this is a great place to be. The link meowey left behind is good starters. Remember; low and slow, that'll get you a nice crust or bark. Enjoy the site!

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Jul 7, 2005
Midvale, UT
dragonslayer-when you get the chance, sign up for Tulsa Jeff's 5-day eCourse. Lots of good info there to get you going and the fine folks here will help you out.

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Hot Threads