Some questions from a new guy

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by dragonslayer, Oct 5, 2006.

1. dragonslayer

dragonslayer Fire Starter

I am new to the forum and a only recently started smoking my own meat. I come from family with a culinary background so I am not completely stupid when it comes to smoking. In fact my uncle is in the smoked fish business. Last night I did my first smoking-a 5lb brisket in my home made metal garbage can BBQ/smoker It came out pretty good for my first ever smoke. I am going to adjust the rub to my taste for next time as I followed a recipie that I feel can use a little tweeking. The flavor and texture came out pretty good and I got a solid consistant grey color throughout. I would have gone a little more rare but I need to keep others in mind on this. My question is what should I do and what should I not do to promote a good crust and smoke ring???

2. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome Dragonslayer!

Glad you are here. Many of your questions can be answered by browsing through the Beef Forum section of SMF. Particularly the post by Dutch on a basic brisket smoke. Link follows:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1639

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

3. ultramag

ultramag SMF Events Planning Committee

Welcome to SMF dragonslayer!!

4. smokemack

smokemack Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Welcome dragonslayer, this is a great place to be. The link meowey left behind is good starters. Remember; low and slow, that'll get you a nice crust or bark. Enjoy the site!

5. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

dragonslayer-when you get the chance, sign up for Tulsa Jeff's 5-day eCourse. Lots of good info there to get you going and the fine folks here will help you out.

Enjoy!