Some questions from a new guy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dragonslayer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
I am new to the forum and a only recently started smoking my own meat. I come from family with a culinary background so I am not completely stupid when it comes to smoking. In fact my uncle is in the smoked fish business. Last night I did my first smoking-a 5lb brisket in my home made metal garbage can BBQ/smoker It came out pretty good for my first ever smoke. I am going to adjust the rub to my taste for next time as I followed a recipie that I feel can use a little tweeking. The flavor and texture came out pretty good and I got a solid consistant grey color throughout. I would have gone a little more rare but I need to keep others in mind on this. My question is what should I do and what should I not do to promote a good crust and smoke ring???

Welcome dragonslayer, this is a great place to be. The link meowey left behind is good starters. Remember; low and slow, that'll get you a nice crust or bark. Enjoy the site!

dragonslayer-when you get the chance, sign up for Tulsa Jeff's 5-day eCourse. Lots of good info there to get you going and the fine folks here will help you out.

Enjoy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky