Some ham guidance

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xaugievike

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
Guys - been doing a lot of reading prepping for a Christmas ham-smoke. Just want to make sure I've got everything clear. My biggest question is regarding the targeted internal temperature

My ham is fully cooked. I've read some posts saying I need to aim for 140 degrees. I've seen others recommending 160 (my understanding had been that this higher temp is for uncooked/partially cooked hams). Hoping I can get a little clarity.

Thanks all - and merry Christmas

Being that the ham is already fully cooked I would think your goal as far as IT is concerned would to bring the inside to a serving temperature. I would split the difference and go for about 150 deg. For safety you want to reach 140 before 4 hours of cooking.

Thanks, Linguica - that was actually what I was kind of thinking of doing.  Being pre-cooked I'm less worried about the creepy crawlies than I am drying it out too much (i've got a pretty agressive basting plan ready).  any other advice out there?

My wife will make a thick paste of brown sugar and OJ and spices to rub on the outside the last 20 to 30 minutes of cooking. If put on too early it will just melt off. Instead of basting, she will cook it cut side down in a pan with a 1/2 inch of water the first half of the baking time.

Last edited:
XAugieVike - As with many Christmas dinners in the past, I'm doing pretty much what you are doing with a fully cooked and hickory smoked country ham. I smoke it at 225° to an IT of 135°. Most of the time, I double wrap it in foil and a heavy towel, and place it in a warm cooler for 1-2 hours. The carryover will take the IT to 140°-145°. Anything beyond this and it starts drying out.

For basting, I score the ham prior to going in the smoker. I start applying the baste at 115°, about 1 hour before finish. I apply the baste every 20 minutes for a total of 3 times.

Remember, all you're really doing is gently warming a previously cured and cooked ham, adding an extra layer of smoke, and applying a glaze, if desired. It's a pretty simple procedure and you shouldn't be overly concerned.

Good luck, enjoy your ham, and Merry Christmas.

thanks guys!  Is there a guesstimate for smoking time?  I"ve been figuring it'll take about 3-4 hours to cook this smallish slab of ham (5 lbs).  would you say thats accurate-ish?

thanks guys!  Is there a guesstimate for smoking time?  I"ve been figuring it'll take about 3-4 hours to cook this smallish slab of ham (5 lbs).  would you say thats accurate-ish?
I haven't ever done one that small, but I'd start with 20-25 minutes a lb. and monitor it closely. This assumes a pre-heated smoker and room temp. ham.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky