Some breakfast and wiener sausage from pork trim

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looking good, Rich!
Stuffed some in cellulose yesterday (1st time using cellulose) and left in the fridge overnight.
What temp do you SV if you don't mind me asking?
Dan

Reactions: chopsaw
Looking good, Rich!
Thanks Dan . They're good .

What temp do you SV if you don't mind me asking?
Dan , do you have the chart for time and temp for the size of the casing ?

I use 140 as a temp when I SV sausage , then find the size of the casing .
35mm at 140 is around 1 1/2 hours . I will add some extra time to be safe . Maybe 1/2 hour .
Those casing take smoke really well btw . Just be care full if you go straight in the water bath . Last time I did that in the SV with those casings , they took on water .

do you have the chart for time and temp for the size of the casing ?
No, I do not. They're 26mm.
Didn't plan on smoking them and have a tad of liquid smoke in the mix.
I may have goofed. I usually twist as I go with hog casings and punch a couple of tiny holes in the starting end of the next link and did the same with these.
I had a couple of them open up a little while drying, so now I'm not sure about heating them in water.
They don't look as "tight" this morning, though.
Thinking about just heating them in the oven at 170....

Nice looking hot dogs, Rich! With a single grind only they looks pretty darn good.... Usually I grind them twice or emulsify them but your looks nice after a single grind.... Great color as well!

Yehaaaa!!
Git along you Little Doggies, Git Along!!!
I almost missed this one, but not quite!!!
Nice Job Rich!!
Like.

Bear

Nice looking hot dogs, Rich! With a single grind only they looks pretty darn good.... Usually I grind them twice or emulsify them but your looks nice after a single grind.... Great color as well!
Thanks ! Seems the pork cushion has a better result that pork butt with one grind . This was all trim also . That spare rib trim is pretty lean . Yup , I was happy with the color also .

They don't look as "tight" this morning, though.
Dan I've used those a couple times now . I like them . Mine are 25 mm , and they will stretch more than you think . I've had them to loose , and to tight so far . Neither was a problem , but the tight ones were to stiff to hang on the smoke sticks .
You can see how tight these were . Smoked sausage and Weisswurst .
20190801_144033.jpg
20190801_134358.jpg

Reactions: SmokyMose
Everything looks awesome Chop!
I use the same wiener seasoning from TSM too, and we love it too.
I stuff mine in sheep casing, but yours sure look good & sheep casings are a bit of a hassle. To tell you the truth I haven’t made any hot dogs in a year or so. I love Hebrew National Knockwurst, I just buy a couple of 4 packs every once in a while when my Publix has them on sale BOGO, to get my hot dog fix!
Al

Everything looks awesome Chop!
Thanks Al . Was a busy day yesterday .

I use the same wiener seasoning from TSM too, and we love it too.
One of my favorites from them .

To tell you the truth I haven’t made any hot dogs in a year or so. I love Hebrew National Knockwurst, I just buy a couple of 4 packs every once in a while when my Publix has them on sale
I know . I'm the same . I do Italian and andouille all the time . We have a #4 dog we like from Gordon's food service .

When we go south for vacation , Publix is a tourist attraction for us . Lol .

Dang rich! That all looks great man. Nice save on the scrap meat btw. I ground up a bunch of butt yesterday and made a batch of breakfast. Going to stuff some hot Italian later today. LIKE!

That all looks great man
Thanks John .

I ground up a bunch of butt yesterday and made a batch of breakfast. Going to stuff some hot Italian later today. LIKE!

Cool . I didn't know you were doing your own . It's great isn't it .
You using a mix or going from scratch ?

Nice save on the scrap meat btw.
I started doing this when everything was in short supply . I was buying a couple hundred bucks worth of bulk meats . The trim added up pretty quick . Great way to get " extra " stuff . Lol .

Cool . I didn't know you were doing your own . It's great isn't it .
You using a mix or going from scratch ?

First go at it man. sawhorseray sawhorseray and tx smoker tx smoker got me started and hooked me up with some stuff along with a bunch of pointers. Most of the seasoning is blends from scratch. Used Robert's breakfast recipe for the sausage I did yesterday. Flavor difference is insane from store bought!

First go at it man.
Well , you'll be hooked now . Good eats and great savings .
Used Robert's breakfast recipe for the sausage I did yesterday. Flavor difference is insane from store bought!
We like the hot pork sausage from TSM . Been out of stock , and I'm out . This was from Owens . I added red pepper flakes to it . It's good ,and next time you make it , stuff some in hog casings . Great on a bun grilled .

Been making good use of trim from all the cryo vac'd meat I've been buying . This time I got about 4 pounds from a pack of pork cushion and a 3 pack of whole spares . I have no problem breaking out the grinder and stuffer for small batches . I enjoy making it as much as eating it .
Did a couple pounds of breakfast using a mix from Owens BBQ , and some wiener sausage in 22 mm sheep casings . Seasoning from sausage maker .
Anyway ,
Trimmed all the cushion up . There's 5 sections in the bag . Saving these for roast or PP .
View attachment 506295

The rib trim was pretty lean , so I ground that and the cushion trim then mixed it together before I divided it up .
seasoned each batch and stuffed right away , then held over night . If I wait to stuff with the small horn , it's a disaster .
Last time I did that I ripped the counter top off the base cabinet .
View attachment 506296 View attachment 506297
I knew it was going to go good . Sheep casing pulled right out of the bucket , opened up , rinsed and slid right on the tube .
View attachment 506298
Breakfast all stuffed . Got 20 links .
View attachment 506299
Cooked some up this morning . Really good .
I added some dextrose to help with the browning .
View attachment 506301
Pancakes and taters from the Blackstone .
View attachment 506302 View attachment 506303
Wieners all stuffed up . I went with a long link . I'm used to 4's or 5's , and the sheep casings just look so small .
View attachment 506300
I dried under the fan this morning and hung them in the 30 while I made breakfast .
Hung at 120 with beech pellets rolling smoke .
That was 7:00 . Was talking in a thread and @SmokinEdge mentioned hotdogs .
I completely forgot about them .
At this point they've been at 120 for 4 hours .
Good color , but starting to shrivel .
View attachment 506304
So I pulled them and put in a pot of water .
Bring the water to a boil , remove from heat .
Add sausage and put the lid on . Smells like hot dog water .
View attachment 506305
Gave a nice adjustment to the color also .
Cooled in some cold water .
View attachment 506307
That mix is really good . Has great flavor .
I just do a good mix by hand , grind was small plate 1/8 "
One pass . I never do 2 . Tried it once . That was enough .
The texture is perfect for what I like .
View attachment 506308
View attachment 506309
Saw the thread by SmokinEdge the other day and figured I'd revisit some hotdogs .
They're always good , but I buy an Angus beef frank from GFS that we like , so I just
don't make them . I can see that might change though .
Thanks for lookin .

Yeah that looks awesome!!!

I also only grind all my sausage once. I find the mixing process gets me close enough to emulsified just like your sausages show. I like the little bit of texture better this way vs some smooth solid soft spongey meat.

Also if you ever get your hands on a 5pound pack of LEM's Backwoods Cured Franks seasoning and make hot dogs I'd love to hear your feedback on how the flavor differences between this batch and the LEMs. I have tired at least 4 frank/hotdog recipes and nothing comes close to the LEM's seasoning to me.

Breakfast all stuffed . Got 20 links .
506278-cf6f8f64f0a5d66adb7df78567f173ac.jpg 506278-cf6f8f64f0a5d66adb7df78567f173ac.jpg
Cooked some up this morning . Really good .
I added some dextrose to help with the browning .
Chopsaw those look great and a great blend on the breakfast sausage hot dogs .
Thanks for the process and pictures. You added dextrose for the browning , sorry not sure what you mean ?

David

Yeah that looks awesome!!!
I liked the look of the sheep casings a lot . My stuffer struggles with the small horn . Always a crap shoot , but this went well .

I also only grind all my sausage once. I find the mixing process gets me close enough to emulsified just like your sausages show.
Yup , and the pork cushion I used has a little different fat structure than butt .
I mix it pretty hard too . Try to break up the fat .

LEM's Backwoods Cured Franks seasoning and make hot dogs
I'll have to look for it .

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky