Soil for Basil.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Michael Birch

Original poster
Dec 28, 2018
Melbourne, Florida
Okay, so I'm trying to grow Sweet Basil for my first time. I made my own soil mix of 1 part top soil, 1 part sphagnum peat moss, 1 part vermiculite. Will this mixture work okay or should I be using something else that is better?

Mine is doing great in a South facing window, planted in Walmart Potting Soil. So far the Basil seems pretty forgiving...JJ

It will grow fine in that mix as Jimmy stated it's pretty forgiving and will grow in most soils

I have good results with Jobe Organic. A scoop per gallon water. Stinks to High Heaven, but seem to give good results. In potted plants we wet down with Jobe's every 2 weeks...JJ

How long does your basil in an indoor pot? We buy ours, already mostly-grown, at the grocery store. We cut off the top leaves when we need some, and it re-leafs pretty quickly. However, the leaves, after about 6-8 weeks, start getting really small. Is the plant just finished, or can I do something to extend how long I can use each plant?

How long does your basil in an indoor pot? We buy ours, already mostly-grown, at the grocery store. We cut off the top leaves when we need some, and it re-leafs pretty quickly. However, the leaves, after about 6-8 weeks, start getting really small. Is the plant just finished, or can I do something to extend how long I can use each plant?

Periodically move to a larger pot. It will grow fuller. Tops can be cut, just below the nodes, and put up in water to root. Once you got some root growth, place in soil and grow clones. Don't be afraid to cut further down than just the tops. More cutting = more growing...JJ

Surely you have heard the saying, " Give it Room to Grow! " To keep growing big strong stems and and big leaves, you need a big root system. Once the roots fill a small pot, they can't find enough food to sustain big growth. Given more real-estate, virtually Any plant can keep growing bigger...

Good info...JJ

A bit late for your climate.
not necessarily, been growing this in here since January.
DSCF3375.JPG
going to experiment with other herbs soon.

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky