SoFlaQuer's Finishing Sauce (For Pulled Pork)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just threw together a  half-batch of this for a small butt that is smoking now.  So far, the sauce tastes great by itself. Cant wait to try it on the pp tonight! Seems like a great recipe! Thanks!

I am smoking a 10 lb butt on thursday and would like to give this sauce a try. I figure with all the positive reviews I can't go wrong. 

Only question is, how much to use?

With a 10 pounder, and lets say one normal size ketchup style bottle, how much sauce out of that bottle would be a safe start?

I am smoking a 10 lb butt on thursday and would like to give this sauce a try. I figure with all the positive reviews I can't go wrong. 

Only question is, how much to use?

With a 10 pounder, and lets say one normal size ketchup style bottle, how much sauce out of that bottle would be a safe start?
When I use it I spritz, mix, and taste until I like it.  Sure I end up eating a half pound of pulled pork before the meal but it is so damn good with this sauce!

I use a half batch on a 5lb butt for the first test. Just right.  I made a full batch last night, doing a 9 pounder for Christmas Eve. (Not related, but we are going to be in the HIGH 60'S on Christmas Eve!!!  Its usually around 20 degrees out. Great weather for BBQ!.)  I never posted back about the sauce, it came out excellent, the pepper stays mostly hidden, unless it steeps at a little higher temp, which I did this time, just to find out. My guess would be let it cool completely before adding the flakes, if you don't want any extra spiciness, if you do, throw it right in when the vinegar/ sugar mix come off the stove- hot pepper tea..  I put a small sample of this in some of my spicier table sauce, and it was great.

Amazing finishing sauce. Thanks for the recipe. I like putting some BBQ sauce on my sandwiches so I made a double batch of the finishing sauce and used half as a base for my BBQ. Tied it all together nicely!! Thanks again.

I'm going to be smoking my second butt Tuesday and I can't wait. The outside temperature is only going to get to 25 so that has me a little worried. I'm using charbroil 50/50 with a side box, so keeping it to temp. Might be a challenge.

Im hooked on it, just made a slightly tweaked version today/ tonight on a butt.  Spiced it up a bit, by cooking the pepper flakes a little longer, and adding some extra Cajun goodies...  almost didn't need BBQ sauce on pulled pork sandwiches..

Got a bit of a problem here.

Going through some stomach issues and vinegar is a no-no.

Just started a nice butt in the smoker a bit ago and suddenly realized I shouldn't use my normal finishing sauce.

Any alternate suggestions for a base besides vinegar?

Got a bit of a problem here.
Going through some stomach issues and vinegar is a no-no.
Just started a nice butt in the smoker a bit ago and suddenly realized I shouldn't use my normal finishing sauce.
Any alternate suggestions for a base besides vinegar?

You may want to start your own thread so this doesn't hijack this one.

Vinegar gives the tang to finishing sauces so you'd want something to mimic that. Citric acid would be the best substitute. Lemon juice or orange juice. Cuban pernil pork Mojo sauce. If you wanted it to be less fruity you could mask the citrus flavor with other spices and tomato paste. Look up Cuban pernil here. Or try this base

2 cups tomato paste
½ cup lemon juice
½ cup water
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon powdered mustard
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic powder

Does the Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning say Cajun on the side? All I find is the creole kind.
Thanks!

***edit**** after some reading I found my answer...
Such an awesome community here!

Last edited:
Just used your finishing sauce today and it was a great addition to the pulled pork I cooked a pork butt 13 hrs yesterday and it finished at 3:30am. I made it to bring up to the welding class that is making my smoker for free as a class project. All the boys had 2 sandwiches and one boy even had 3!!!! I'd say they liked it.

I went a little heavier on the pepper and used cayenne instead of red pepper flakes. Like that better as its fine and mixed in well.

Last edited:
So making my first pulled pork in digital Masterbuilt. Have most of my plan down. The finishing sauce, how much per lb roughly? Does it leave an strong viniegar taste? Lastly has anyone mixed this up , filled water pan with it and used a mix of the drippings and finish sauce? Good idea, bad idea?

I copied this to a separate post due to the requests for it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Finishing Sauce I use is as follows:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juiicy pork.

Personally, I eat it just like that, but your guests can add whatever "Q sauce they prefer once it's on their plates or bun!

If you've never done Pulled Pork with a "Finishing Sauce" before, you're in for a real treat!!!! It's the secret ingredient that alot of Quer's don't know about, and part of the reason people at my 'Q Parties say "they've never had Pulled Pork that tasted this good, before!".

Jeff

I am doing an 8Lber this weekend... Will I use the entire bottle after pulling?

12 Years later and this finishing sauce is still getting rave reviews. I will definitely be making some for my PP this weekend. I will report back soon. (With what I do not doubt will be less than astonishing reviews)

Why do I get so excited at new finds and trys? lol

Reactions: ksblazer
Got 2 - 8.5# pork butts rubbed and in the fridge for tomorrow. 1st time doing butts, looking forward to trying this on one and saving Bears "liquid gold" as needed for other. 15 degree temps tonight, may be interesting keeping MES to temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky