So many different opinions on brining and injecting

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by custom99, Nov 23, 2011.

Brine and Inject?

Poll closed Nov 24, 2011.
  1. Brine only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Brine and inject

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. It's amazing how many different opinions there are on how to deal with turkeys. With all the different shows that are on these days about cooking you could lose your mind figuring out what to do. I was watching one show on NBC in the morning when they were saying to not to unwrap a turkey to thaw it and that both brining AND injecting are good. A show on Food Network says to unwrap the turkey and thaw in pan with plastic wrap and that both brining AND injecting will make the meat soggy. I bought fresh turkey and breast this year. The turkey is being done by the wife in the oven. I am doing the breast in the smoker. The breast is brining now in the slaughterhouse recipe. I still cant decide whether to inject or not. I just want my first smoked breast to be as juicy as possible.

2. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

INJECT!!!!!

3. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

BRINE!!!!!   [​IMG]

4. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Seriously....Brine gets moisture and flavors in Plus Tenderizes.....Injections put Concentrated Flavor in the muscle.   You can keep the Brine simple and let it do it's thing, then add Intense Flavor with a Low Salt...Injection...JJ

5. raptor700

Inject!

6. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

AND, you'll lose more juice from all those holes...

Just sayin'................

7. raptor700

You only need one 

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  8. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I know it's overkill, but I do both!