So, I just bought a 275# pig for $100 bucks.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have no clue what a whole pig goes for but I would have to guess that is a pretty good deal. That seems like a lot o meat dude! Sounds like perfect temps. Never done but wouldn't pass at that price. Would love to be there to help. Sweet man! Sounds like an adventure. Good luck!

Reactions: JC in GB
What kind of hog?
50¢ / pound is really good. (I'm giving 1/3 loss to discard)
To scald or to burn...that is the question....
My 2¢
Prepare hot water.
Kill.
A soak in the hot tub to scald the skin.
Hang to bleed as you scrape. It really doesn't take as much effort to scrape a hog as they whined about in the video you posted.
2 people can scrape and wash a scalded hog in 10 minutes.

Have fun. Wish I could join you. My Saturday forecast is -26°F low and -9°F high

What kind of hog?
I was told grey with a white belly... Not real sure what breed and don't really care for the price. They were raised for show hogs, did not make the cut at the show this past Saturday and Grandpa is culling them for the cost of new piglets. I think they are Herefords. Not certain though. Pigs are 7-8 mos. old and 250-300# and that fits a Hereford. I'll know more in the coming days. But if it is a Hereford, it's an even better deal!

Last edited:
Herford's are cows , red n white face, unlike angus all black.. Yorkshire or landrace is probably the breed. if its white

Might not be a pure breed...but I assumed that it was being a show pig...

Anyone with any idea of what breed it might be? Grey with white belly. That is all I have to go on at this time. More info soon though.

Bleed it then bleed it more. You can dump more blood if you pump the legs 10 to 20X after opening up the neck to bleed it. After the death throes grab its legs and start working them as much as you can it will pump more blood doing so. Sounds like you scored!!!

Reactions: indaswamp
My guess is a mixed, although it could be a Poland China or Berkshire with a little off coloring. We raised hogs when a I was a kid (many moons ago), mostly Hampshire and Chester Whites.

You got a great deal. Should be some good eats. Congrats!

Before I was born my dad and granddad showed a Chester White boar that weighed in just over 1,000#. Dad said he was a pain to handle in the show ring and even worse, wasn't the best eating later, but there was a lot. I saw an old black and white pic of him and he was huge. I always wished they had a pic of my dad next to him. Would have been a great contrast because dad was 5' 2" and never weighed more than 135#.

I have no clue what a whole pig goes for but I would have to guess that is a pretty good deal. That seems like a lot o meat dude! Sounds like perfect temps. Never done but wouldn't pass at that price. Would love to be there to help. Sweet man! Sounds like an adventure. Good luck!
I had 1/2 of a tamworth X magnalista hog lined up back in Dec., but my buddy in michigan got swamped with animals to process bcause the processors were shut down from Covid. He was selling me that 1/2 pig (250-275# on the rail) for $4/#. But that was a free range hog on 110 acres. I want the hog for salami. I may still get it, depends on how this year goes with Covid....

So when this deal came up, could not pass it up! $100 for 275# pig.

Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky