So decided what to do with the extra pork shoulder I had

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.

Enchiladas....​

Got about 3-4 lbs of pork shoulder. I am gonna do the meat in the slow cooker then make the Enchiladas normally. I have a couple questions.

1. Should I use flour or corn or a mix of tortillas... I see most are flour but thought I would ask.

2. What should I add to the pork in the crock pot?

3. Cheese.. I noticed some of the cheap cheese doesn't really melt well. I tried using a block for some dip and it was like rubber. Best cheese for these?

Any other thoughts?

Reactions: JLeonard
You could always make the pork "Mississippi" style by adding a packet of pork gravy mix, a packet of Ranch Dip Mix and a stick of butter - no water - most people add pepperoncini peppers but I skip them as I don't find they add to the dish.

Totally adding layers of flavor to enchiladas !

I would use flour tortillas as they are easier to roll.

Cheese.. it's really personal preference but freshly shredded cheese from a block of cheese melts better.

Charlie hit the nail on the head with the cheese. Pre-shredded cheese contains a anit-clumping agent. Shred your own it's mucho better. Sorry can't help with the other questions. Good luck and post up

Chris

Enchiladas are made with corn tortillas. End of discussion in my book. I'm sure you can make a tasty casserole with flour tortillas, but you can't call it enchiladas.

If doing green Chile: cook pork seasoned simply. Salt, garlic and some mild spices if you want. Bay leaf won't hurt.
If red: salt, garlic and you can add powdered, whole or crushed red Chile. A LITTLE cumin is nice with red.

Cheese is personal preference. Mild cheese like queso fresco or Colby jack will let the Chile and tortillas shine. Cheddar will bring is own flavor, which is also good. Fresh shredded from a block of the way to go as noted above.

Reactions: negolien
Enchiladas are made with corn tortillas. End of discussion in my book. I'm sure you can make a tasty casserole with flour tortillas, but you can't call it enchiladas.

If doing green Chile: cook pork seasoned simply. Salt, garlic and some mild spices if you want. Bay leaf won't hurt.
If red: salt, garlic and you can add powdered, whole or crushed red Chile. A LITTLE cumin is nice with red.

Cheese is personal preference. Mild cheese like queso fresco or Colby jack will let the Chile and tortillas shine. Cheddar will bring is own flavor, which is also good. Fresh shredded from a block of the way to go as noted above.
thanks .. Cheese worries me the mass produced cheap processed cheese doesn't melt well

The green chili (verde) suggestion sounds like a winner in my book.

If its raw pork shoulder, I usually smoke it to pulled pork then add it to the enchiladas the normal way.......
Yeah but no lol.... It's been pouring rain and in the low 40's for weeks. Not at all interested in smoking in this weather atm especially a butt that's gonna take forever. it's goin in the slow cooker 100% lol.

If doing in crock pot I personally would add a cup or so of chicken stock blended with a few tablespoons of chipotle with adobo (up to a whole small can) and likely a few peppers and onions. I’d also apply a rub of taco type seasoning to the pork. Defat the juices and mix some back in when you pull the pork. Will be excellent on the enchiladas. You will likely have a nice amount of tasty broth to roll into a Mexican style soup too. You mentioned an issue with melting cheese for a dip which is a bit different than just melting shreds on food. For dips and sauces you would be amazed at what some sodium citrate (citric acid salt) added will do for melting creaminess. It is the secret to cheese sauce. It’s amazing to have around the house for countless other things too and pretty cheap.

Last edited:
If doing in crock pot I personally would add a cup or so of chicken stock blended with a few tablespoons of chipotle with adobo (up to a whole small can) and likely a few peppers and onions. I’d also apply a rub of taco type seasoning to the pork. Defat the juices and mix some back in when you pull the pork. Will be excellent on the enchiladas. You will likely have a nice amount of tasty broth to roll into a Mexican style soup too. You mentioned an issue with melting cheese for a dip which is a bit different than just melting shreds on food. For dips and sauces you would be amazed at what some sodium citrate (citric acid salt) added will do for melting creaminess. It is the secret to cheese sauce. It’s amazing to have around the house for countless other things too and pretty cheap.
So if I use the processed cheese for like queso how much of that should I put in? I assume it has directions. I seen some for $5 on amazon.

I was thinkin of putting some enchilada sauce in the crock pot

Yeah but no lol.... It's been pouring rain and in the low 40's for weeks. Not at all interested in smoking in this weather atm especially a butt that's gonna take forever. it's goin in the slow cooker 100% lol.
I’m just over the hill from you and it’s the same brutal weather. I was going to set my smoking tent but really glad I didn’t. I think it would have been blown into the Pacific the other night if I had.

I’m making beef jerky today in the dehydrator, in the garage. It’s safer there.

• Haha
Enchiladas are made with corn tortillas. End of discussion in my book.
I agree.. but that discussion can go down another hole as to origin, who made them and what they grew locally. Tamales are another endless debate.
For pork... Chili Verde gets my vote.
A dozen or so tomatillos. they are not under-ripe tomatoes BTW
Some garlic cloves
Onion
Jalapeno, serrano, habanero peppers to your liking
S&P
Roast tomatillos and peppers until skin is black and blistered (this works well with onion too). Remove to a bag for steaming off. Peel all and toss in blender. Add stock until correct consistency..
Prepare as usual. Your mileage may vary..
-Pete

Made from yellow corn or white corn variety. The yellow varieties generally have thicker shell on the kernel. It can vary by brand and ingredients, but in general:

Yellow will be a more toothsome and flavorful tortilla. Good for casserole enchiladas because they won't dissolve at easily. Good for tacos where the filling is "tough". Things like steak tacos. Yellow are not preferred by dinner for making individual enchiladas because without the cooking in the sauce, yellow can be a bit tough. (I like yellow for the most part personally).

White will be a more supple tortilla. A good white corn tortilla can be extremely flavorful, but generally store bought white ones will be bland in my opinion. White are good for things like egg or fish tacos where a tougher tortilla might overwhelm the filling.

Made from yellow corn or white corn variety. The yellow varieties generally have thicker shell on the kernel. It can vary by brand and ingredients, but in general:

Yellow will be a more toothsome and flavorful tortilla. Good for casserole enchiladas because they won't dissolve at easily. Good for tacos where the filling is "tough". Things like steak tacos. Yellow are not preferred by dinner for making individual enchiladas because without the cooking in the sauce, yellow can be a bit tough. (I like yellow for the most part personally).

White will be a more supple tortilla. A good white corn tortilla can be extremely flavorful, but generally store bought white ones will be bland in my opinion. White are good for things like egg or fish tacos where a tougher tortilla might overwhelm the filling.
thanks bud.. I think I am just gonna go flour this time to get the basic idea as I have never done them before. I don't see mixing half corn half flour in same dish as working out well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky