• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Snack Sticks Help...

NotFamousAmos

Joined Dec 8, 2019
My boys and I love eating snack sticks and jerky while hunting. The only problem, we have never been able to make any that we prefer to store/butcher bought. Yesterday, we attempted to change that (and mostly failed). I'm looking for help.

First, we have quite a bit of deer so that's our main meat. Heck, we have 25bs ground right now. To add some fat, I ground 15lbs of pork butts.

Yesterday, we used a 70/30 mix of deer/pork in 5lb batches (our first mistake) of sticks. Everything was done in 19mm collagen cases. We smoked all of them on my Traeger at 165deg for 2 hours and the 190deg until the sticks hit 165deg internal. The texture/look of the sticks turned out great.

Results:
LEM Original - very little taste, bland at best
LEM Peppered - the best we made but a far cry from anything peppered sticks/jerky that we have bought.
Hi Mountain Hickory - vomit, in a snack stick. I still can't get the taste out of my mouth!

Today, I have 5lb batches of LEM Hot and Hi Mountain Sweet and Spicey to smoke still. Then, the jury will be out on those.

Basically, I'm looking for better mixes/recipes/smoking tips to help my quest for a GREAT stick. Oh, and I need to do 1lb test batches...

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Owens BBQ sausage mixes. Top notch they are.

73saint

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 8, 2017
I like the PS seasonings as well as Owens. Last month I did 25 lbs of PS Tex mex and everyone at deer camp flipped out over them.
Do a fry test before u case what u make so u can see if u need more seasoning.

oberst

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 8, 2015
If you want a can’t miss, something everyone will like, get the Owens Honey BBQ Snack Stick seasoning. I have had folks who would never try wild game ALL like it. Go with 50 % pork butt on your first batch. You can drop that proportion in later batches but you want the first one to be juicy. I always add 1 pound of hi temp cheese to each half batch as I can’t make a full (12.5 pounds) batch with my equipment. Use a thermometer in order to avoid over cooking the stir. I smoke mine 5 hours with hickory.
196138D9-A18E-4FE6-B97F-00536BDC81EC.jpeg

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 29, 2018
Owens
" High Country" (not high mountain) is pretty good also

hondabbq

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 25, 2014
I dont have access to alot of the ones most use on here. Up in Canada the offerings are limited. We do have Hi Mountain.
I really like the cracked pepper and garlic. I add jalapenos and cheese to it and its awesome. I Use the pepperoni and add powdered tomato soup, dehydrated onions and parm for pizza ones.
I tried the ones yo mentioned and they are not really that great.
Just get creative. Also do a test fry to see if the flavor profile is what your after,if not, adjust before stuffing.

NotFamousAmos

Joined Dec 8, 2019
First, thanks for the tips so far! When you all do a test fry, is it best to eat it hot or will the taste change significantly after it cools?

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I'll speak for Owens mixes too . My opinion is the fry test checks salt . For me the taste is so different after it sits , gets smoked then sits for a few days again . That's another thought , are you letting them sit a few days after you smoke ?

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 26, 2015
Here is one for you. The Original recipe was R Blum from here for his pepperoni. Just looking at it I knew it was going to be hot. So I make a light recipe and did 2.5# of each. His recipe is hard to each a bunch ina row, but maybe that is a good thing? I am going to make 20# of the light again very soon. I have it in

Pepperoni recipe.JPG

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 26, 2015
Large batch recipes. I also stretch ground deer with 73% beef and that gets me at 13.5% fat. The recipes should asay Deer at top and 73% beef at the bottom. Pork butt can be 30% fat on it's own and beef with it is high enough to make sausages. Snack sticks are better under 15% and 10% good.

Mix well to geta good protein extraction and sometimes a bit of water helps as shown in these recipes.

Attachments

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.