Smoking With Corn Cob Pellets: Pulled Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
Smoking with corn cob pellets was something I just learned about. Threads about it are easy to find and Pops has one with 20K views. I found a 40 lb bag early this week for $10 at Tractor Supply Company and yesterday was the big day. I used a mix of 1 part Knotty Wood Plum and 2 parts BestCob Premium Horse Bedding (yeah, you read that right). Many of you wrote about the nostalgic smell and taste of bacon and ham smoked with corn cobs. Even though I’m a former Minnesota farm kid I have no experience with that. So my experiment was going to be based on how it worked, smelled and tasted to me in this pulled ham cook.

I had a pork shoulder ham I took out of the brine and put in a ham sock as it had a lot of floppy parts thanks to a rushed butcher. I used the cob and hardwood mix in my Yoder pellet grill. I could immediately tell the corn cob pellets were producing much more smoke than I was used to seeing. There was never that subtle “line of thin blue smoke.“ The smoke smell was much stronger than using just hardwood pellets but not off-putting. Getting to the point, it was a 12-hour cook. I put the ham in a cooler overnight and pulled it early this morning while it was still very warm.

When I sampled it the smoke taste was much stronger like mesquite can be but without that pungent flavor. This morning when I went to clean the Yoder it was a mess. Ash was everywhere under the deflector plate. I decided I will not be putting a mix of hardwood and cob pellets into the pellet bin again. In the future, should I choose to use the cob pellets, I will put a mix in a smoke tube or turn it to cob dust and put it in my Amaze-N. As I mentioned before, because this cob smoke smell/flavor has no nostalgic hold on me I’ll have to figure out when I’ll use it. I have a huge bag left so I might give bags to some buddies.

I’ve read cob is good for cold smoking bacon and cheeses. That might be something I consider. But for me it will not be burned in my Yoder again unless it’s in a smoke tube. Certainly not in my auger-fed system again because of the mess and it really smoked up the neighborhood for 12 hours. I might owe a couple HOA neighbors some bacon lest they invent a new rule.

F000FDD6-79F4-4D93-8E68-B7406E0E97E6.jpeg
This is the 2:1 mix of Cob and Plum

857038AF-9821-4758-9F7D-2DC108A287C1.jpeg
The irony of putting this floppy shoulder in a sock only to turn it into pulled ham was not lost on me.

E525D994-D88E-4539-83E9-904838FC0E13.jpeg
12 hours later and I had a very dark bark. I did not use a rub on account of the sock. Was the dark from the cob or the plum?

E69A382F-68C4-4224-8F53-EBEBF337A76E.jpeg
It fell apart on its own when I removed the ham sock. Perfectly cured using Pop’s brine. Works beautifully and flawlessly every time.

EFA9F3FC-F6AC-45E4-9E17-31E937C515E7.jpeg
This is going to make some championship hash topped with a farm-fresh poached egg.

Looks good, Sven. Those pellets are much larger and more uniform than my bags have been. My pellets have been quite a bit smaller. Might just be batch variation. And they do tend to put out a fair amount of smoke.
For my tastes, corn cob meats need a couple days in the fridge, wrapped in plastic, for the flavor to mellow out; kind of like when smoking cheese. Then again, I've never used them in the hopper, either; just an AMNPS.
The Sportsman's Warehouse near me sells plum pellets, which is a real novelty around here. I've been thinking about trying some, but didn't know what to use them on before. Might try your mixture.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Sven that looks world class. I’ve done pulled ham a couple times recently but with commercial cured hams. I want to cure my own to get moister results.
Pop’s brine from this forum is foolproof. You can turn any chunk of pork into ham. All is takes is a bucket and some patience. A garage fridge helps, too.

Reactions: mneeley490
Pop’s brine from this forum is foolproof. You can turn any chunk of pork into ham. All is takes is a bucket and some patience. A garage fridge helps, too.
Yep totally agree. I’ve used Pops for tons of applications including belly, buckboard and Canadian bacon as well as Disney turkey legs. Good stuff.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Probably my favorite food, and that looks good. This is the first I'm hearing about corn cobs and now have to do some research.

Wow! That looks incredible! Great work snd such a beautiful ham! You should have saved it for the throw down!!!! Thanks for sharing, I’ll have to try out some cob in the AMAZN tray, no nostalgia for me either, even as an Iowa boy. Just curious.

Wow! That looks incredible! Great work snd such a beautiful ham! You should have saved it for the throw down!!!! Thanks for sharing, I’ll have to try out some cob in the AMAZN tray, no nostalgia for me either, even as an Iowa boy. Just curious.
If ya all need more cobs feel free to come follow me around next fall in the combine...you can have all you want! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Reactions: 912smoker
Nice job on the ham for sure pop's brine is easy to use.
Glad your cobs were ground what your pop was going to see about a horse may have been hold cobs. :emoji_laughing:

Warren

Thought you might be interested in what a cob-smoked ham would cost you if you bought one. These are two places in Vermont that I used to mail order ham and bacon from back in the 90's. Both were very good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky