Smoking tenderloin tips for pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevinjay

Original poster
Sep 22, 2022
Hi, my first post here and I am a newbie at smoking. I have searched the threads but cannot find a specific answer I am looking for. I am making pulled pork for a group which I have done many times using a slow cooker and soaking in Root beer and bbq sauce. I wanted to try something different this time but our local store did not have pork butt. Pork tenderloin was there so I substituted. When I opened it up this morning, I found they were actually tenderloin tips. I have them sitting with a dry rub right now and know that tenderloin cooks fairly quickly being recommended at 225 for about 2 hours.

What I want is to smoke them for an extended period at a lower temp, something like 150 to get more smoke in. They will be wrapped in tinfoil and then popped into the slow cooker tomorrow. One thread I found did not recommend this due to bacteria not being killed but since I am doing a second cook almost immediately, I am not too concerned about that for this. Are there any recommendations, cautions or others experiences doing anything like this? I know I can just cook them and shred them but I really like doing pulled with root beer as it makes everything very juicy and most.

Thank you!

I did this a long time ago, so it can be done. Tenderloin and Pork butt are different types of meat and are cooked to different temps. Lean tenderloin is finished in the 140-145 area, while the fattier pork butt can finish at temps above 200+ before it falls apart and is ready to be pulled.

Since the tips are small I think they will take on plenty of smoke. You do not say what type of smoker you have. I'd smoke at 225ish, then add to your crock pot. Since tenderloin is very lean, all the juiciness will come from root beer or sauce you add.

You could just grill up the chunks to 140, put some sauce on and serve that way.

Welcome to the site!

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I did this a long time ago, so it can be done. Tenderloin and Pork butt are different types of meat and are cooked to different temps. Lean tenderloin is finished in the 140-145 area, while the fattier pork butt can finish at temps above 200+ before it falls apart and is ready to be pulled.

Since the tips are small I think they will take on plenty of smoke. You do not say what type of smoker you have. I'd smoke at 225ish, then add to your crock pot. Since tenderloin is very lean, all the juiciness will come from root beer or sauce you add.

You could just grill up the chunks to 140, put some sauce on and serve that way.

Welcome to the site!
Thank you!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky