Smoking some home grown, without Zig Zag

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richoso1

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 21, 2007
I didn’t have much fresh chile (peppers) left on the plants, so I decided to cold smoke them using the AMNS in the Weber 22.5 inch grill.   I had a mix of Chichimeca jalapenos, NM Sandia, Big Jim, Espanola, and a very few serranos.

I had the bottom and top vents wide open on the Weber. I loaded four rows with mesquite for a true flavor, and I lit both the end rows. By the amount of smoke coming out, the AMNS was getting plenty of air, so I put the cover on and it let it smoke it’s lid off.

I let the chiles smoke until the sawdust was completely smoldered, then I let the chiles cool a little before putting them in the dehydrator. The combination of the AMNS and the Weber is a great balance of comfort and ease. I think I’ll write a book entitled “ Cold Smoking for Dummies”.

I use an American Harvest FD-75 dehydrator, not the greatest, but it works for me. I first start drying them at145°, and after a few hours I drop the temp to 115°.   It’s a slow process, but tine is on my side. That’s what I tell Gloria… but she may think differently.

My spice grinder will be in for some deep heat treatment in a few days... but that may be another post.

Thanks,

Rich

8c432269_AMNS1.jpg

72d1f611_AMNS2.jpg

d0ce2bd0_AMNS3.jpg

32c7cf49_AMNS4.jpg

c1117afb_AMNS5.jpg

90909659_AMNS6.jpg

Looks good Rich. Gotta love the AMNS. 

Rich that's looks great, when you said serrano I started drooling, thats' my favorite pepper, that's what I grew up on.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

icon_cool.gif

Well your peppers look good and the more and more you guys use that thing (AMNS) I'm might just have to go and order one.

PDT_Armataz_01_09.gif
*  I just finished off the last of my chili sauce made from Espanola's today.. *cry* Those look great Rich!!

I smoked them in high heat with an onion, then pealed them and tossed it into a blender with some chicken stock, EVOO, cillantro, and salt to taste. Gave it all a whirl and then froze it into 1/2 lb. blocks for vacuum packing. Really good ontop of scrambled eggs.... mmmmmmm.

looks good rich....something about chilis on a grill that makes me smile!

Man oh man those look good. I may have to run back to Vallarta market and grab another bag so I can do this.

Looks awesome Rich! I need to get cracking on my last bit of peppers. I was just reading in one of my cookbooks to do a cold smoke then roast them to blacken them and then pull the skins off. I might try that!

Okay, I have a looked on the wiki dealing with acronyms and didn't see AMNS. It is all over this forum and I still have no idea what that is. Since you have and use one, maybe you could shed some light???

Okay, I have a looked on the wiki dealing with acronyms and didn't see AMNS. It is all over this forum and I still have no idea what that is. Since you have and use one, maybe you could shed some light???
Sorry Smoing g8tr... lol.. AMNS is short for A-Maze-N-Smoker. It is a sawdust smoker made, marketed, and sold by our very own Todd Johnson. Many of us have bought them to use either as a cold smoker or to suppliment a gas or electric smoker.

Nice job Rich!

Looks Great!

I'm not even big on peppers, and I still love this thread!

Thanks,

Bear

That looks good. Grat pics. I am trying to get to were I feel comfortable smoking whatever I have laying around. Sweet thread!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky