Smoking small brisket flat ( with Q Views)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smokeburns, Oct 26, 2014.

1. smokeburns

smokeburns Smoke Blower

Got a small 3lb brisket flat from a local farm couple of weeks ago. Was harvested on 9-11 last month. I paid way too much for it. It was about $10 lb. but that was on the basis that no antibiotics or hormones and GMO grains were used on these cows. Essentially ... As the farmer put it , "these are free range Happy cows. ". So I'm going to put it to the test to see if I can tell the difference between commercially produced beef VS. humanely raised beef. One thing I Know I have going against me is that for one, the brisket cut is small and unfortunaly trimed a little too well. Not much fat was left on. So yesterday I had injected it with a beef broth solution mixed with some spices and let sit. And late last night I pulled it and used a slather of a a Dixie smoked mustard and used a Rub . Combination of loveless dry rub and butt rub. And has sit all night. Plan on smoking at 225 using some hickory splits. And pecan splits. Until IT reaches 160 , then going to try wrapping in butchers paper untill it reaches about 195 , then towling it in a cooler and let it rest a couple of hours. Never have smoked such a small "expensive" brisket and also wrapping it in butchers paper vs foiling it. So I'm in new territory. Any recommendations throughout the day would be much appreciated!!

2. smokeburns

smokeburns Smoke Blower

And here we GO!
    :grilling_smilie:

3. Looking good keep us posted

Gary

4. smokeburns

smokeburns Smoke Blower

1 1/2 hours in. Good grief. IT already at 130? Wonder if I should drop temp to 120?

5. smokeburns

smokeburns Smoke Blower

Almost 4 hours in. Just added few more coals.

6. smokeburns

smokeburns Smoke Blower

IT @160. Time to wrap.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  7. smokeburns

smokeburns Smoke Blower

Struggling through the Plato

8. Looking good.

9. smokeburns

smokeburns Smoke Blower

Hey I noticed you are a boiler maker. I used to be a pipe insulater at mead paper plant. Coming in behind you guys during shut downs. Insulating pipes and vestibules. Very hot work ...

10. Lookin' forward to final pics and results. Also, that  hors douevres plate looks REAL tasty !

11. smokeburns

smokeburns Smoke Blower

10 hours in.

12. smokeburns

smokeburns Smoke Blower

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/content/type/61/id/348762/width/350/height/700[/IMG
    11 hours later.slight little buzz. Didn't think such a little flat would take so long

13. smokeburns

smokeburns Smoke Blower

14. smokeburns

smokeburns Smoke Blower

time to rest ....,

15. smokeburns

smokeburns Smoke Blower

Well ...... Well worth the Waite . I can't believe how tender this is !!!!!!!.

16. smokeburns

smokeburns Smoke Blower

Wow. I wish pictures could portray meat as if it were cotton candy. Only regrets I wish I would of started earlier, just didn't think a "small little 3lb brisket would have taken so long. :irony:
    My family has gone to bed , hate it when that happens
    1::sorry:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  17. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Gosh, that looks terrific. My compliments.

Disco

18. Man that looks super....beautiful color. Nice Smoke!!! Thumbs Up