Smoking Salt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rimbo

Original poster
Oct 19, 2022
A friend of mine purchased a jar of mesquite smoked salt at a local farmers market. What a great way to add some smokey flavor to veggies and other foods. Does anyone have any recommendations for making some? My thought was to put some coarse kosher salt on a shallow pan and place along side whatever I have in the smoker. Thanks.

I've added some when cold smoking cheese. Also other spices can be smoked...usually just paprika for me.

Ryan

Get yourself a grease splash guard, and wrap aluminum foil around the outsider perimeter. Making a small sidewall. Pour and spread the salt on top of the splash guard and spread it around evenly. You can either cold or warm smoke the salt. Just make sure you stir it every once in a while. You'll want a uniform light brown color.

1666795187281.png

Chris

Just did some salt when I smoked some cheese the other day. Used comp blend. Which I really like for cheese. You can use the splash screen that Chris mentioned. I just use a coffee filter. My last batch I used a bowl, just stir occasionally. We only had a couple filters left.

Salt and paprika are two things I've never smoked. I like the idea of using a splatter screen or coffee filters. Thanks for the tips guys. The cold smoking season is upon us.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will try the coffee filter method. I have plenty on hand.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky