Smoking Ribs question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wasi

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
I am going to be smoking 4 slabs of ribs for a picnic I am going to next weekend. I am going to be cooking baby back ribs. I normally just smoke them for about 4 hours and let them rest for a little while before I server with sauce on the side. The question I have is I am going to be smoking them before I leave and then want to wrap them and place them in the cooler to keep them warm. Do you think I should and some type of finishing sauce or flavors before I wrap. Also do you think butcher paper or foil is better. I want them to stay warm but also want to make sure they do not get tough while resting.

If you foil them it will hold in the heat and slightly tenderize as it breaks down connective tissue. They will stay pretty hot for a while inside a cooler. I wouldnt hesitate to sauce them up before the foil also.

I have actually sauced then wrapped in foil and coolerized ribs for a few hours. I will say I did pad the cooler with a couple of towels though. They held the heat great and the sauce was still good on them. Think you should be find. Never tried with butcher paper though so I can't speak for how well that would work.

W, I would foil them also,you could always cool and reheat in foil at the gathering if a grill is available .

Ditto what the others have said about using foil and really insulating your cooler to keep them warm. But I would leave the sauce off and let the diners sauce as they like at the table.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am going smoke them for 4 hours like a normally do and when done just wrap them tight in foil and then pack the cooler with towels and that is it. I agree with you oldsmokerdude as I normally do no sauce and let them device.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky