• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoking Rabbits

travis

Joined Jun 16, 2013
Smoking rabbits for the first time today. Did some research on here and jumping in feet first!

millerbuilds

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 13, 2013
Travis-

Welcome to the Forum and I am excited to hear about the Rabbits.  I have not smoked rabbit in years, be careful as it can dry out a bit, If they are wild you may want to brine them first.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

travis

Joined Jun 16, 2013
I've been taking pics during the process so far but haventry had any luck uploading them from my phone....

I have Oklahoma Joe horizontal smoker. Cooking chamber temp is 280 F. I added a small container of water to offer some humidity. I soaked the rabbits in a brine mixture I read from this site: 1 qt water, 1 qt apple juice, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar. Soaked overnight. Rinsed and dried then spiced. Next wrapped them in bacon. Inserted probe in thickest part of rear leg/hip. Been smoking for 2 hrs and internal temp is up to 145 F.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Hope you figure out how to upload the photo's.

I just upload from my PC.

Al

mowin

Master of the Pit
Joined May 30, 2015
Smoked bunny is sooo gooood. What ya using for wood? I usually use apple or maple. Good idea on drining them. Adds moisture and flavor.

Last edited:

travis

Joined Jun 16, 2013
Using charcoal sprinkled with apple wood chips. Every once and a while, spray with apple juice.

travis

Joined Jun 16, 2013
The rabbits turned out fantastic. The combination of the overnight brine soak along with the bacon wrap kept the moisture in the meat. The meat almost fell off the bone when plated. I maintained a cooking chamber temp of 275-300 F for 4-1/2 hrs and reached an internal temp of 160 F. I smoked 4 rabbits that weighed 2-1/4 lbs each.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Sounds great. I use photo bucket to load pics here. You have a account?

mowin

Master of the Pit
Joined May 30, 2015
I dont have a photo hosting account, and I post photos from my android phone. Dont use the paper clip icon , right next to it is a box that looks like a mountain range. Click that box and u shoud be all set.

Oh ya... good job on the rabbit smoke. Now post some pics..

travis

Joined Jun 16, 2013
This is how I loaded the fire box. I purposely left the front left corner empty so u could dump a chimney of lit coals in there to get everything going. This allowed a slow burn of the rest along the cook. I added coals once.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.