smoking pork butt and chicken wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shea1973

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
From Vandalia Illinois
Been awhile since I been on the forums, since food prices been going up haven't had the money to buy a lot of stuff to smoke.  However saved up some money and have some friends coming over tomorrow.  So tonight around midnight I am going to start the fire and smoke a pork butt and chicken wings.

If I remember right I smoke it to 165 temp.  About when do I put wrap it in foil and put it back in, I think it is 6 hours isn't it?  Also never smoked chicken wings before so about how long do they take?  Also I always had trouble telling at night time weather the smoke is white or a blue haze, what is the best way of trying to tell at night?  I have tried shinning a flash light at it, but that dosen't seem to help!  LOL

Thank You for your help

Also one more question on the chicken wings!  Do I need to soak them in Brine and for how long?  And where is a good recipe for brine? 

Again Thank You 

Shea, I never brine my wings. I just coat them in some EVOO and sprinkle a rub of paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper.  I usually put them in at the end of a rib smoke (when I put the ribs in the oven for the middle "2" of a "3-2-1-" smoke), so the smoker's usually around 225 when I put them in.  But 300 is better for wings, so I throw more coals in there and try to get it to at least 275-300, and I smoke them for about 2 hours.

Then I finish 'em on the grill along with the ribs.

If you don't cook them hot enough/long enough, the meat will be real good, but the skin will be rubbery.

Pigeye

Last edited:
Thank you for your suggestions.  Your pics of you wings look really good and mouth watering, makes me want to smoke mine today LOL!  What is EVOO?

Thank You

You need to smoke the butt to an internal temp of 195-205 to have it perfect for pulling.  At 165, wrap it in foil (with a spay of apple juice I like) and finish it in foil.  It take about 1.5 hours per pound, give or take, at 225-240 degrees.  When it hits 200 ish pull it, still in foil, and wrap it in towels and pack it in a cooler to "rest."  This will allow the juices to go throughout the meat.  

The wings are better if you cook them hotter, but you don't have to.  I think they would probably take 1.5 to 2 hours at 250.  Good luck.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky