• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoking paprika powder

M3 Pete

Joined Oct 1, 2020
I know that "real" smoked paprika is made from fresh chilis dried for days in a smoker. But can you "smoke" store-bought paprika powder?

SherryT

Meat Mopper
Joined Dec 23, 2017
I was wondering the same thing!

I'm almost out of smoked pap, but I have a HUGE container of sweet pap, so I thought I'd toss about a half-cup onto a small tray (same for kosher salt as well) when I smoke my canadian bacon tomorrow and see how it turns out.

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
You sure can and it is super easy.
Pour it on a tray or baking sheet and smoke it the same way you would smoke salt. Which is at low temps cold smoking would be even better but low temps will work, Smoke it for an hour than pull it out to stir it up than do the same until you get it to the desired smokiness. The place it in the oven with the oven turned off until it's cool I leave it overnight to make sure I don't end up with a moisture problem.

normanaj

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
Sure can. I use a coffee filter to put it in and cold smoke it. Comes out great.
I like that idea.

I always just put it on a sheet pan.Will have to give the coffee filter a go.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
You sure can and it is super easy.
The place it in the oven with the oven turned off until it's cool I leave it overnight to make sure I don't end up with a moisture problem.
forktender forktender

When you say that you put it into the oven. Does that mean you simply transfer the pan with the paprika from the smoker directly to the oven just to let it cool off with the door closed?

No Heat involved regarding the oven. Right?

Thanks,

John

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Steve H Steve H

Not sure what you mean by this,

John
You use a coffee filter to hold the paprika while you cold smoke it. When it is done. I just leave it in a dry place over night to make sure that if it collected any moisture it should dry out.

Inscrutable

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 4, 2019
Never thought of this ... great info ... I have huge containers of sweet, but can always only find tiny ones smoked.

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Never thought of this ... great info ... I have huge containers of sweet, but can always only find tiny ones smoked.
And considering the cost of smoked paprika. You can't loose. When I do this. I also do other spices like Cayenne, kosher salt, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper. I'm going to try doing the Lowery seasoned salt next. That should be interesting.

M3 Pete

Joined Oct 1, 2020
For coffee filters, the basket ones would be best. We use cone filters and they don't work so well. I may pick up a cheap package of basket filters.

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Yes, the basket ones are best. I got them at the Dollar store.

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
I am trying to cold smoke some paprika roughly how long do I let it smoke for,
I go a hour. Stirring every 15 minutes. Make sure you let it set on your counter for a hour or 2 afterwards, stirring once in awhile to make sure any moisture is gone.

Jersey Jimbo

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 26, 2020
ok thanks I have been smoking it for about 2 hours i stirred it about every 20 so I will pull it now thanks for the advise

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Looks really good. What type of smoke did you use?

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.