Smoking paprika powder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

M3 Pete

Original poster
Oct 1, 2020
I know that "real" smoked paprika is made from fresh chilis dried for days in a smoker. But can you "smoke" store-bought paprika powder?

Reactions: pa42phigh
I was wondering the same thing!

I'm almost out of smoked pap, but I have a HUGE container of sweet pap, so I thought I'd toss about a half-cup onto a small tray (same for kosher salt as well) when I smoke my canadian bacon tomorrow and see how it turns out.

You sure can and it is super easy.
Pour it on a tray or baking sheet and smoke it the same way you would smoke salt. Which is at low temps cold smoking would be even better but low temps will work, Smoke it for an hour than pull it out to stir it up than do the same until you get it to the desired smokiness. The place it in the oven with the oven turned off until it's cool I leave it overnight to make sure I don't end up with a moisture problem.

Reactions: Inscrutable
You sure can and it is super easy.
The place it in the oven with the oven turned off until it's cool I leave it overnight to make sure I don't end up with a moisture problem.

forktender forktender

When you say that you put it into the oven. Does that mean you simply transfer the pan with the paprika from the smoker directly to the oven just to let it cool off with the door closed?

No Heat involved regarding the oven. Right?

Thanks,

John

Never thought of this ... great info ... I have huge containers of sweet, but can always only find tiny ones smoked.

Never thought of this ... great info ... I have huge containers of sweet, but can always only find tiny ones smoked.

And considering the cost of smoked paprika. You can't loose. When I do this. I also do other spices like Cayenne, kosher salt, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper. I'm going to try doing the Lowery seasoned salt next. That should be interesting.

For coffee filters, the basket ones would be best. We use cone filters and they don't work so well. I may pick up a cheap package of basket filters.

Reactions: Steve H
I am trying to cold smoke some paprika roughly how long do I let it smoke for,

I go a hour. Stirring every 15 minutes. Make sure you let it set on your counter for a hour or 2 afterwards, stirring once in awhile to make sure any moisture is gone.

Here is the finished product.
1E01503D-7D7F-4486-8DBD-1F31CCC9BA33.jpeg

Reactions: Steve H
forktender forktender

When you say that you put it into the oven. Does that mean you simply transfer the pan with the paprika from the smoker directly to the oven just to let it cool off with the door closed?

No Heat involved regarding the oven. Right?

Thanks,

John
I'm not sure how I missed this, but yes I just place the sheet pan in the oven with the oven light on.
The same way I dry my sour dough starter John. I buy this brand because it's sold locally for under $6.00.

Didn’t see anyone mention what wood they use? At the moment I have chunks in apple, hickory, mesquite, cherry (on the way), and just stumbled onto Orange (which could be interesting) … also chips in alder, pecan … all the foregoing requiring some amount of heat in the Smokin-It … have to check my pellets inventory … guessing best to use those and a tube Or make dust and use a tray.

Suggestions/experiences?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky