Smoking my 1st turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pi guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
SE Michigan
I plan on smoking my 1st turkey this Sunday!! I rotisseried one a few years ago on the grill with some foil packets, but this will be my first attempt in my smoker. 15# frozen, it's been in the refrigerator now since Monday. I plan on spatchcocking (never done it before but not afraid to try). My plan is just a fun smoke, I plan on making nice sandwiches with it first, leftover quesadillas or something later next week.

Questions:
Do I HAVE to brine it?

Do I HAVE to inject it, or put butter under the skin?

What is the best wood for turkey?

How long of a smoke in MES should I plan for?

Thanks!

See answers in red: just click on expand

I plan on smoking my 1st turkey this Sunday!! I rotisseried one a few years ago on the grill with some foil packets, but this will be my first attempt in my smoker. 15# frozen, it's been in the refrigerator now since Monday. I plan on spatchcocking (never done it before but not afraid to try). My plan is just a fun smoke, I plan on making nice sandwiches with it first, leftover quesadillas or something later next week.

Questions:
Do I HAVE to brine it? No, but it's a good idea to especially if it's not enhanced.

Do I HAVE to inject it, or put butter under the skin? No, but both will add flavor to the bird. I like to inject even if it's an enhanced bird.

What is the best wood for turkey? Personally I like apple, but have used hickory. It depends on how strong a smoke flavor your going for. Poultry takes on smoke rather quickly so be careful.

How long of a smoke in MES should I plan for? Sorry I can't help you out there. I'm not a MES user.

Thanks!

Reactions: pi guy
If you split the turkey in half after spatchcocking it (I recommend) and put each half in it's own rack, I'd say you're looking at 3 ish, maybe a bit more. Set it to 275.

Here's one I did in a mes30 gen1 a couple of years ago.

20170730_184617.jpg

If you split the turkey in half after spatchcocking it (I recommend) and put each half in it's own rack, I'd say you're looking at 3 ish, maybe a bit more. Set it to 275.

Here's one I did in a mes30 gen1 a couple of years ago.

View attachment 382597
Thanks, I thought I read about 3 hours somewhere before, so I appreciate this.

Here's the thread of a turkey I did a few months back in my MES.

I brined the turkey, but I've also not brined chicken and was pleased.

I didn't inject, but I'm not against it.

I put rub under the skin of the breast, but not butter.
I don't think I have an injector (inherited some turkey fryer stuff from wife's uncle, not sure if that's in there). I'll try some rub, I actually have a decent poultry rub recipe. Thanks!

I don't think I have an injector (inherited some turkey fryer stuff from wife's uncle, not sure if that's in there). I'll try some rub, I actually have a decent poultry rub recipe. Thanks!

If you can't find the injector and injecting is something you want to do, this injector has worked really well for me. Just apply some olive oil to the o-ring on the plunger before each use.

Just make sure you cook to temp and not to time.

^ This

I know spatchcocking will speed up your times, but my turkey took 6 hours. I did a turkey breast couple weeks back and that alone took me 3.

Definitely to temp! Since I'm making sandwiches I'm not pressed to have it done at a particular time, just curious about how much time to plan for, give or take. Thanks.

If you can't find the injector and injecting is something you want to do, this injector has worked really well for me. Just apply some olive oil to the o-ring on the plunger before each use.
Appreciate that, I'm going to dig in to see what we inherited. I might be interested in injecting at some point.

Well, things got in the way and I'm putting off the turkey until tomorrow unfortunately. Won't have enought time to get it done now today. So today will be small salmon fillets!

Reactions: fivetricks
Salmon fillets were just ok. Didn't brine, the smoker was acting up (ash tray was full and chips not lighting). I wasn't happy, but it was edible and I put it on salads for everyone.

For the turkey tomorrow morning, I'm now convinced I need to spatchcock or butterfly. I don't see getting that thing into the smoker. Also, just poked at the turkey in the fridge (since last week) and it's mushy (under the original wrap). Is that normal??

No. Mushy means it was in the brine too long.
You mean the brine it's pre-packaged in? It was frozen and I took it out of the freezer and left it in the fridge for 6 days. All in the original packaging (on a platter). I never brined it myself.

Ahhh!! Okay. I could have sworn I read that the turkey was in brine. It is normal to feel some "give" in the turkey meat when it is still in the original packaging. I do apologize for the confusion.

Ahhh!! Okay. I could have sworn I read that the turkey was in brine. It is normal to feel some "give" in the turkey meat when it is still in the original packaging. I do apologize for the confusion.
Whew! I was freaking out LOL! Well, here goes...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky