smoking in the wind

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigwalk

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Hey all,

I am about to fire up the smoker and the wind is quite "refreshing" today. I have a Brinkman vertical gas smoker. Do I need to worry with the wind, will it mess with the temp? What could I do to fix it all? Thanks!

North GA. It is about forty degrees out with nice gusty breezes

Just try to get it to an area with a little wind as possible.  Or try and create a wind break of some form.  Turn your vents away from the wind.  Good luck.

How hot does that little chimney vent on the top get?

If it's doesn't get too hot, how about a box a few inches bigger than that vent, with a whole bunch of holes cut in it.

That would break up the wind, so it doesn't suck the heat out, yet allow the smoke to continue on it's way.

Just a thought---I use something similar on top of my MES vent.

Bear

I don't have any experience with a propane smoker, I have a WSM & as we speak I have my smoker going in about 20-25 mph winds. OK it's about 55 out which is just a tad warmer than you, but I just keep the top vent open full & shut the bottom vents all the way down. Just leave one a little bit open on the side away from the wind. It's holding 225 easily. I wouldn't recommend shutting down the top vent because you may get a build up of creosote on the meat. You need to get the air flowing out the top freely. Maybe today it would be better to use your MES . I have one of those as well & the wind doesn't seem to bother them much. Good luck & let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I dont have any vents on the bottom to control airflow. It is open all the way around the bottom with the propane burner mounted. I wrapped alluminum foil around the base and left enough to still pull enough of a draft to burn cleanly. I think it did the trick. I am holding pretty steady, so I think I am ok. On another note, where can I find out what all of these acronyms that everyone uses describing things? It looks like greek to me!!

icon_cool.gif

Now you can build a wind break out of just about anything from a sheet of plywood to a regular sheet off the bed too. So I would keep in mind what theses folks told you and see what uyou have laying around to create a windbreak.

Thanks for the input. I dont have any vents on the bottom to control airflow. It is open all the way around the bottom with the propane burner mounted. I wrapped alluminum foil around the base and left enough to still pull enough of a draft to burn cleanly. I think it did the trick. I am holding pretty steady, so I think I am ok. On another note, where can I find out what all of these acronyms that everyone uses describing things? It looks like greek to me!!
Here's a list of most of them:
AcronymDefinition
2-2-1Method of Smoking Baby Backs - 2 hours smoked - 2 hours wrapped - 1 final hour unwrapped
3-2-1Method of Smoking Spare Ribs - 3 hours smoked - 2 hours wrapped - 1 final hour unwrapped
5 Day eCourseA 5 day email course on how to smoke meat
ABT  Atomic Buffalo Turd - A stuffed smoked jalepeno pepper
BCCBeer Can Chicken
BDSBig Drum Smoker
BGEBig Green Egg
BSKDBrinkmann Smoke King Deluxe
BWSBackwoods Smoker
CBPCracked Black Pepper
CCSVCamp Chef Smoke Vault
ECBEl Cheapo Brinkman
EVOOExtra Virgin Olive Oil
FattyA 1 pound chub of breakfast sausage turned into a smoked delicasy
GOSMGreat Outdoors Smoky Mountain Smoker
KCBSKansas City BBQ Society
MBNMemphis BBQ Network
MESMasterbuilt Electric Smokehouse
OTBSOrder of the Thin Blue Smoke
PHDPost Hole Digger
SFB
Images of Smoked Food.. usually makes you drool;-)

Side Fire Box
SMFWhat Most of Us Endearingly Call The Smoking Meat Forums
SnPSmoke n Pit
TBSThin Blue Smoke
UDSUgly Drum Smoker
WSMWeber Smoky Mountain - Smoker

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky