Smoking in SE Arizona

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

justmattb

Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Hello from way down/over in Benson, AZ! Anyone else feel like BBQ is not represented enough here in the Southwest? Been looking around at the competition stuff in Arizona and it is definitely slim pickins - especially if you're not in the greater Phoenix area.

hello from a few miles down the highway in Whetstone. They have small local comps around here now and than, Tombstone and SV I have read about. Good to see another member close by.

Reactions: justmattb
Hello from way down/over in Benson, AZ!

hello from a few miles down the highway in Whetstone

Y'all best watch out. There's a couple folks in AZ that go by the moniker of Smokin' in AZ Smokin' in AZ and sawhorseray sawhorseray that are total BBQ outlaws and are turning out some amazing food. They will get you in a world of trouble....but in a really, really good way :emoji_laughing: They are also really good online friends of mine, but you still gotta watch out because I'm known to be a bit of an outlaw also :emoji_wink:

Warning shots fired,
Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
Welcome from Gilbert, AZ! Both my smokers are too heavy for me to get into the back of my truck, guess the only "competition" I get involved in will have to take place in my backyard. RAY

Y'all best watch out. There's a couple folks in AZ that go by the moniker of Smokin' in AZ Smokin' in AZ and sawhorseray sawhorseray that are total BBQ outlaws and are turning out some amazing food. They will get you in a world of trouble....but in a really, really good way :emoji_laughing: They are also really good online friends of mine, but you still gotta watch out because I'm known to be a bit of an outlaw also :emoji_wink:

Warning shots fired,
Robert

Hey fellow Arizonans! I don't do competitions either.

John

Reactions: justmattb
There is a newish group that has at least a couple of events a year:

I'm really just looking for more backyard/informal type stuff that gets folks together and learning from one another. But... either way, I'll keep on grilling down here in SE AZ! Thanks everybody!

Another smoker here, checking in from Green Valley. I always try to fire up my smoker when I am in town. I drive long haul, so my family always fire it up when I am home.

Question does anyone know of a good pit builder? My COS has cancer and now has 2 small holes not really in the market yet, just checking around.
20190211_134025.jpg
20170708_174655.jpg
20170708_122355.jpg

Last edited:
You can check out azbbqcentral.com; they have a couple of pit builders listed on there. There aren't many that I've been able to find in AZ, though there are plenty outside of the state if you want to pay $400-$500 for shipping.

Last edited:
Reactions: dragon51
The shipping prices are the killer, it would be nice if I could just throw it in the back of my truck, but it does not have a lift gate, and not too sure how my company would like it. lol

I will have to look into those places ty.

The one built in Santa Maria Style and the other one Camelback he's got one review and it's negative.

The Old Country Brazos, is the one I keep going back to. 149 for shipping.

I'd imagine a pit builder would have a forklift to get a smoker into the back of a pickup truck. You could score a Bell Fab going thru Texas if you go that way and it'd be OK with your company. Of course getting it off your truck would be a whole other can of worms. I live in Gilbert and was lucky to find a dealer for the Meadow Creek SQ36 I wanted 15 minutes away from my house. RAY

The one built in Santa Maria Style and the other one Camelback he's got one review and it's negative.

The Old Country Brazos, is the one I keep going back to. 149 for shipping.

The Santa Maria style is just one of the types available from AZ BBQ Outfitters; he also has offsets, cabinet styles, etc.

The one in Cambelback actually builds the pits for Little Miss BBQ in Phoenix, which are known far and wide for excellent Q.

I'm not an advocate for either, but I'd say from both you'd get a quality pit. That said, there are definitely more cost effective options out there. Assassin Grills, Lone Star Grillz, etc. As the other poster said, there are also places in AZ (BBQ Island to name one) where you can get a smoker and shipping is sometimes free one some of their offerings.

As the other poster said, there are also places in AZ (BBQ Island to name one) where you can get a smoker and shipping is sometimes free one some of their offerings. [/QUOTE]

Yep, that's where I got my SQ36, pretty happy with it. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky