Smoking in Central Oregon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoketrax

Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Redmond Oregon USA
Hello All, My name is Nick and I have read through a few posts on the site figured I would join up. I have been a professional Chef for the past 5 years and have been out for a year with a liver disease. I have smoked food since I was young a passion passed from my grandfather who made the best smoked turkey I have ever tasted.

My wife bought me a cheap brinkman charcoal smoker about 4 years ago it's about 3 feet tall and has two large front doors on a square frame. The model no longer exists and i have modified mine heavily from the original design. I use lump coals and wood for my heat and very rarely fire it up beyond the 200 mark excepting pizza or veggies like potatoes or corn.

I am looking forward to sharing some of my recipe's with anyone who is willing to try them as well as trying other's recipe's. I smoke very nontraditional flavors for the most part and try to aviod labeling anything as " cajun" or "texas style" ect. I was the head chef at a very upscale italian restuarant for 3 years and most of the food we served was american italian rather then traditional. As such I know my flavors may be close to a cajun style on occasion but true cajun food belongs to those who know it best. Personally i rely on a lot of flavors and tend to use soy or hoisin to give a more personal taste... but I digress. I am very harsh on my own food and would love to hear other opinions on my food as well as branch out my own horizons and if you have any questions about other style of food or sides/desserts please feel free to bother me.

Good smoking to all.

Nick Traxler

Welcome to the SMF Family Chef...There a few current and retired Pro's along with a whole bunch of really awesome Weekend Warriors. Great group of folks who are Crazy about Q and like to pass on their experience. I saw in another thread you make good but not " To Die For " Ribs...Stick around and that will be fixed in short order...JJ

Hello Nick and 
welcome1.gif
to SMF - looking forward to your recipes

welcome1.gif
 to SMF Nick. You have come to the right place for smoking info. This site is loaded with great info just use the search bar at top of page to find what you are looking for. If you can't locate the answer just ask folks here are willing to share there knowledge.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky