Smoking for meal prep.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Torc

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 15, 2021
Cincinnati
My wife and I are into prepping meals ahead of time, making Bentos to freeze and recently bought a Foodsaver that I have been putting to good use.

I have been wondering if others smoke/grill for this type of activities with ideas, insights and words of wisdom?

Reactions: PPG1 and JC in GB
I always have bags of smoked pulled pork in my freezer for making sandwiches, tacos, chili, etc.....

I also have frozen sausages on hand most of the time. Polish, bratwurst, Andouille are a few that you will find most of the time.

I take sausages for lunch quite often.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: Torc and PPG1
I always have bags of smoked pulled pork in my freezer for making sandwiches, tacos, chili, etc.....

I also have frozen sausages on hand most of the time. Polish, bratwurst, Andouille are a few that you will find most of the time.

I take sausages for lunch quite often.

JC :emoji_cat:
I have been doing that with discount rotisserie chicken I find at Kroger, thread it up and vacuum seal it to use for what ever sauce I get my hands on.

I am also planning on making my own bbq sauces and can them since my wife is allergic to MSG (as abundantly used as charcoal in bbq)

Reactions: JC in GB
I have a bunch of pulled beef that was vac-sealed and put in the freezer this past weekend.This will put to use in the future for chili and soups.

My wife and I are into prepping meals ahead of time, making Bentos to freeze and recently bought a Foodsaver that I have been putting to good use.

I have been wondering if others smoke/grill for this type of activities with ideas, insights and words of wisdom?

Smoked BBQ anything does amazingly well vacuum sealed and frozen.
One tip with briskets and pork butts. Go ahead and slice or chop (your preference) your brisket and then vacuum seal. Same with pork butts, pull it and then vac seal it.
I've done whole briskets and pork butts vac sealed and they are a pain the butt to reheat and reheating the large chunk of meat dried it out more than I expected. Wasn't bad but way more hassle and poorer results for the work.

Now since you aren't freezing for long term storage you can cheat and buy lesser expensive gallon and quart size bags and do the trick where you use it's own clasp seal to turn it into a viable short term vac seal bag. I've done it and it works! This will save you money on bags if not freezing stuff and storing for periods of like a year.
Now a Foodsaver is not generally close to the quality of VacMaster, VacMax, or Westin vac sealers but I have read of people doing this with food savers as well.

For storage of food at half year or greater I would use real vac seal bags but for short term I do this and it works like a charm.

I hope this info helps! :)

Just bought the cheap Inkbird vacuum sealer using the discount from this site. Love the thing can buy staples like chicken breast etc at Sam's and seal in individual meal size packages. Also been doing this with brisket and pulled pork which is great for the middle of the week when we don't have time to cook.

Reactions: Torc
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky