smoking fish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dr good

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
Ilbilbie Qld. Australia
My mate Curly, down near the beach gave me a Samson fish and asked me to smoke it for him. I have never seen one before but it filleted very well. Dark meat and quite thick off the bone. I need help, how do I prepare this for smoking and for how long. Some research has shown that brine it for 2 to 3 hours, then smoke it (told cold smoke by my butchers supply bloke). Should I touch up the brine a bit? I am sure that there are some very experienced smokers out ther who can assist.

From what I hear, kingfish can go a bit dry, so you might want to try some garlic or citrus juice in your marinade, maybe lay some lemon/lime slices over fish while you smoke to keep it moist! I would guess when it flakes, its done…donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t overcook…they use it alot for sushi.
wink.gif

Good Luck!

Samson was really good, perhaps a tiny bit on the dry side as you warned, friend. The neighbour raved about it but maybe keeping in the good books for a smokey christmas.

Bit lean on the smoke here at the moment. Breaking up my little steer tomorrow morning and then knocking over a neighbours steer to hang in my coldroom.

What is the best cut you use for jerky.

Hope you are not too cold way up there. Carlton time here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky