Smoking different meats/fish at the same time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mummel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Massachusetts
I was wondering if doing different foods at the same time is recommended.  I've read a lot of people like to use specific chips for specific foods.  So that's one consideration (i.e. everything will come out smelling like pecan smoke).  The other thing I thought about is sauces dripping from top to bottom and changing the taste of lower meats.

Is this a big deal?

I have found once I smoked salmon in my smoker.... everything tasted/smelled like salmon.... I have a dedicated smoker for fish....

I have found once I smoked salmon in my smoker.... everything tasted/smelled like salmon.... I have a dedicated smoker for fish....
Ummmmmmm!  Smoke Salmon flavored pork ribs
drool.gif
  Seriously, that is why I also have a couple dedicated smokers just for my Salmon.

So if I dont have 2 smokers, how does one do it?  Smoke separately and just clean it after?

So if I dont have 2 smokers, how does one do it?  Smoke separately and just clean it after?

Yes. The only eat to really get the fish smell out would be to clean with vinegar and lemon after your smoke. Leave the door to the smoker open for a good two-three days after cleaning.

I have been smoking salmon for over 30 years. I can tell you that it will give an off flavor to whatever you are smoking in the smoker. Tuna is even worse. If you like salmon flavored chicken go for it.

@mummel  everyone has their own techniques and I am sure tons of people use one smoker for fish and meat but the people on here seem to be some of the most knowledgeable people around so I would believe when they caution you against using the same smoker for both.

You can get a little chief for $100 and smoke all the fish you want without worrying about cleaning or passing the flavors from one item to the next.

Stronger tasting fish could pose issues, however I've smoked several Trout fillets and never noticed a fishy taste on other meats.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky