Smoking different meats/fish at the same time?

Discussion in 'Pork' started by mummel, Apr 10, 2015.

1. mummel

mummel Master of the Pit

I was wondering if doing different foods at the same time is recommended.  I've read a lot of people like to use specific chips for specific foods.  So that's one consideration (i.e. everything will come out smelling like pecan smoke).  The other thing I thought about is sauces dripping from top to bottom and changing the taste of lower meats.

Is this a big deal?

2. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have found once I smoked salmon in my smoker.... everything tasted/smelled like salmon.... I have a dedicated smoker for fish....

3. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Ummmmmmm!  Smoke Salmon flavored pork ribs [​IMG]   Seriously, that is why I also have a couple dedicated smokers just for my Salmon.

4. mummel

mummel Master of the Pit

So if I dont have 2 smokers, how does one do it?  Smoke separately and just clean it after?

5. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yes. The only eat to really get the fish smell out would be to clean with vinegar and lemon after your smoke. Leave the door to the smoker open for a good two-three days after cleaning.

6. mummel

mummel Master of the Pit

This woman did chicken and salmon a the same time:

7. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I have been smoking salmon for over 30 years. I can tell you that it will give an off flavor to whatever you are smoking in the smoker. Tuna is even worse. If you like salmon flavored chicken go for it.

8. bmaddox

bmaddox Master of the Pit

She also installed the water pan wrong and is smoking salmon at 200 degrees so I wouldn't trust a thing she says.

9. bmaddox

@mummel  everyone has their own techniques and I am sure tons of people use one smoker for fish and meat but the people on here seem to be some of the most knowledgeable people around so I would believe when they caution you against using the same smoker for both.

You can get a little chief for $100 and smoke all the fish you want without worrying about cleaning or passing the flavors from one item to the next.

10. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Cleavage speaks louder than words.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

11. bmaddox

I am at work and was worried about someone walking in and wondering what I was watching [​IMG][​IMG]

12. mummel

mummel Master of the Pit

I'm surprised you could focus on small details like that with those things in your face!

13. chewmeister

chewmeister Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Stronger tasting fish could pose issues, however I've smoked several Trout fillets and never noticed a fishy taste on other meats.

14. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I'm speechless , [​IMG]  .

15. mummel

mummel Master of the Pit

HAHA checkout 2min 31 secs

16. No Comment !!

Gary

17. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Ewwwwwwe!!!!   Fish and chicken at the same time?  OMG!   WTF?!

18. mummel

mummel Master of the Pit

19. No Comment !!

Gary

20. patg

patg Meat Mopper

Everythings bigger in texas