Smoking corn in husk

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Has anyone done this?  

I was smoking chicken leg/thigh combinations this afternoon and wanted corn. I put it on the grill but wondered if it is doable in a smoker.

I have a digital MES and the chicken was 240 for 3 hours.

BTW, not having the corn in the husk is not an option.  That's the way we like it.
icon_smile.gif

I do it all the time. I soak the corn with husk in water for bout a hour. Then wrap in foil, then in the smoker.

I too soak the corn in the husk but no Foil. Goes right in the smoker or offset side of the grill. Gets steamed in the hust and gets a light taste of smoke...JJ

I too soak the corn in the husk but no Foil. Goes right in the smoker or offset side of the grill. Gets steamed in the hust and gets a light taste of smoke...JJ

I have Sweet corn bout ready in the field, gonna try not foiling it.

I think you will like it. The Foil just acts as a mini-steamer. It keeps the smoke from penetrating...JJ

We do this all the time. Sometimes I soak the corn, other times I do not. We also will pull the husk back, butter the corn, add some salt and pepper or Lawry's seasoned salt, then pull the husk back on and cook.

Some other good spices on corn, Chipotle powder, Old Bay. Basil butter is another favorite.

Reactions: Sbleds0e
It all sounds good, the corn around here is looking real good right now!

I'm sure this will be part of my next smoke!

MM, now I'm thinking smoked creamed corn!

Al

Last edited:
It all sounds good, the corn around here is looking real good right now!

I'm sure this will be part of my next smoke!

MM, now I'm thinking smoked creamed corn!

Al
Let me know how that works for you Al! Creamed Corn is Mary Lou's vegetable of choice and I'm always in the market for some brownie points...

[emoji]128512[/emoji]

Dan

Around 240 in the smoker about how long should it take to be finished cooking?
Until it is Hot. Fresh Sweet Corn does not need to be cooked to be tender. You can eat it off the stalk...JJ

If I leave the foil off, will it add smokey flavour to corn?
I do this a lot too. Yes it will be smokey, but not overly so since the husks will prevent most of the smoke from penetrating. I always have smoked kosher salt in the house and we add that to our corn-on-the-cob, which takes the smoke flavor up a notch.

I haven't done it for a while now, but the best smoked corn on the coib I ever had was placed under 3 birds in my Smoke Vault 24" gasser on the 2nd grate level an the above the water pan, with the birds on the 4th of 5 grate levels. Bird drippings basted that corn for hours...no need for butter when they came out...everyone thought it was scrumptious!!!

Eric

So tonight I smoked burgers and put corn in the smoker, above the burgers to avoid the fat dripping onto the corn.  The corn was still in the husk and no wrap of any kind asside from "original equipment".

There was a faint trace of smoke, which was the game plan.  Any more smoke would have been overpowering the corn.    

CanSmoke, you'd have to get really aggressive with a heavy and long smoke before it would be strong with husk-on corn...same goes for potatoes. They may smell so strong of smoke that you'd think you won't even be able to eat it, but if you used proper smoking technique (no stale smoke or creosote) it should not smell off-putting (acrid, bitter) and will be good eating. The skin on the corn kernel prevents much of the smoke from penetrating into the corn itself, and the husk and silk slows the accumulation of smoke on the kernels, so you basically have 2 levels of anti-smoke protection built into a whole cob of corn. Now take that same corn and cut it off the ear??? Yeah, better be careful with your smoke then. I can't say that I've ever over-smoked whole ear corn or potatoes...it would be pretty tough to pull off a boo-boo like that.

With whole ear corn (leave whole) and potatoes (we don't the potato skins when smoked) they're actually better if refrigerated for a couple days in a closed plastic bag...fridge will smell of smoke but the goods are even better after having some time for the smoke to penetrate. Like with smoked cheese and a good wine or whiskey, they get better with time. Reheat and enjoy!!!

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky