Smoking bread?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Torc

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 15, 2021
Cincinnati
Anyone from Nebraska should know what a runza is.

It is a stuffed sandwich basically.
Runza_01.jpg

I was wondering how well a homemade version would do in a smoker?

Anyone from Nebraska should know what a runza is.

It is a stuffed sandwich basically.
View attachment 496979

I was wondering how well a homemade version would do in a smoker?

Smoking the bread is not a good experience... but if you're making your own bread... you.can smoke the raw flour, sugar and salt and that does shine through in the final bread product... also, you can smoke butter to put on said bread.. but not needed for a Runza.

those are illegal in West Virginia, i think..

is there a standard filling/style of filling, or is it just any cornhusker pirogi?

Never heard of a Runza.
Appears similar to a pastie in northeastern Minnesota.
How many variations can you name? Pot pie, hot pocket, empanadas, samsoa, meat patty, etc?
Agree with kilo charlie kilo charlie that smoking bread is a no. Not so sure about smoking the ingredients to make bread. I've only smoked the meat to go in a wrap

When I worked in the oilfields of eastern Montana and the Dakotas, many of the bakeries would make runzas or bierocks along with their morning donuts. There were several different fillings and they made a pretty good lunch.

I can't speak for other 'smokers', but any of the ceramic kamados (Big Green Egg, Primo etc.) are a bakers dream. For breads a clean fire is best, for pizza a little wood or strong charcoal gives that 'brick oven' flavor. I think a runza would be good either way. I can bake some easy things, but Mrs ~t~ is the sourdough magician.

uNWNmOA.jpg
XVX5H1M.jpg
hRy8fem.jpg

Reactions: kilo charlie
For me smoked bread is just too much smoke.

Bake your bread in a covered pan.

IMG_4542.JPG

Reactions: chopsaw
Go Big Red! The best Runza's was the Italian. Essentially stuffed with Italian sausage, spag sauce and mozz cheese. For some reason they quit making that one. There is now 2 vegetarian versions (yuk), swiss cheese mushroom, BBQ, philly, hamburger and several others on rotation. Still waiting for the Italian to come back....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky