Smoking Bluefin Tuna ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
I have inherited a bunch of Bluefin Tuna from a couple fishing buddies who went out of San Diego, CA this past week. I am looking for ideas on how to smoke it. Dry vs wet brine? Cold vs warm smoke? As some already know, I do a lot of Salmon using a simple salt/br sugar dry brine and then a warm smoke 125*-160*. I also do a bunch of Albacore Tuna via a dry brine and cold smoke.

But, Bluefin? WTF !! (Where's The Fish) :emoji_sunglasses:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

Interested to see what responses you get. I have only cooked Ahi tuna on the flat top.

I've done a bit of Atlantic bluefin.

I can't say that I dry brine it,it's more like a rub.I go very basic just a little lite spog with minimal salt,bluefin is tasty as is so I find no need to go heavy on anything.Some fresh herbs from the garden if you have one.This'll sit in the fridge for a couple of hours and then into the smoker.The idea of a little brown sugar sounds good though I've not used it on any fish that I've smoked,I imagine it would give it great color.

I too am a warm smoker when it comes to fish.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Think when I do some cold smoke Albacore, i will do a couple pieces of Bluefin as well, using a similar brine but in a seperate brining bag.

I also got some Bluefin belly which will be warm smoked next time I smoke some Salmon and Albacore belly pieces.

And yes, lot of the extra Bluefin will be lightly grilled into yummy dinners.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky