Smoking a turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

penny

Original poster
Oct 7, 2016
Michigan
Hello everyone!!
I want to smoke a turkey..and need any "hints" that you may want to share. How long do you brine..how long to smoke?
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the site.  

I recently smoked my first turkey about a week ago, and it turned out fantastic, best turkey I ever ate.  I did not brine the turkey, all I did was inject it with some injection I found at the local grocery.  The stuff was called "Cajun Injector Creole Butter".  It was about a pint jar, and I used the whole thing on the turkey.  I did about a 15 lb bird.  

As soon as I got done injecting I threw the bird on my smoker at about 300-350, and smoked it for about 3.5-4 hours.   Just keep an eye on the color of your bird.  If it gets to the color you want and you aren't to temp yet, just tent the bird with foil so the skin doesn't darken any more.  Pull the bird at 165 IT, and let it rest for about 30 mins.  Then its time to eat.  

My wife told me I'm in charge of Thanksgiving Turkey from now on, so you know it had to be good. 

Reactions: penny
We chose to do 2 turkey breasts this year. None of our family really goes for the dark meat so we have been doing breasts for the past several years. Anyway, this year we did one in the oven the old fashion way and I got to try my hand at a 16 pound turkey breast on the offset. I did brine for 24 hours. Put it on a Bradley rack and into the smoker at 8:30 am (temp around 275 degrees). It took a little over 4 hours to hit 165IT. Removed it and let it rest for 30 minutes and it was the best, moistess (is that a word) piece of poultry our family has ever had.

We did the other one in the oven just in case mine didn't come out. So we had enough bird that all families got to take home a plate full. 10 people + 2 16 pound turkey breasts = one big feed....................

Good luck

Jeff has a great Smoked Maple-Brined Turkey recipe on this site that I was following - in case you need brining data, etc......

Reactions: penny
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky