Smoking a spiral cut already smoked ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

moodybubbles

Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
So I can just fire up the smoker st 225-230 and toss that spiral cut ham on the rack with a pan under to catch the juices and do a glaze made mostly of maple syrup and brown sugar in the last hour of smoking (I plan on about 3 hours). I have a few apple chips and some hickory. I don't need to inject since it is already cut it won't hold much anyway? I don't need to place it in a pan right, just directly on the rack? This will be my second smoke ever so simple things such as in a pan or on the rack are my main questions. Also would you use the packet that came with it or just do the syrup and sugar?

Yes , yes , yes and yes. You are on the right track. You can put it right on the rack for sure. Pan is optional. It might be neater , but it will also shield the ham from the smoke somewhat , so it's up to you. 3 hours should warm it up nice without drying it out. Since it's fully cooked you're just reheating it. An IT of 130-ish is all you need. Good luck

Oh , and I would use the packet....what the heck , you paid for it. And the glaze is usually pretty good. IMO

Last edited:
Yep you nailed it. I do them all the time. I prefer to go the messy rout, and place it on the rack with a pan under. I found I get more of the smoky goodness this way. Its rely not that big of a mess the rack needs cleaned after, where if you use a pan no need to clean the rack. I usually make my own glaze and throw in the packet that comes with the ham.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky