Smoking a Picnic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lspilot82

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Lakeland Florida
I bought a 6 pound picnic today at .89 cents a pound...I thought that was a pretty good deal that I couldnt pass up. I have never smoked one before. I have only done 3 butts. So I was wondering if there is a difference in smoking the two, and also is there a difference in taste. I'm thinking of using it for pulled pork. Will it work as good as a pork butt. I know there is alot more fat in it. Anyway, wish me luck. Shes going on the smoker at 10pm tonight.

I have done both and I like a butt better but hey pork is pork to me, I'll take either. Smoke it the same as a butt and don't forget the qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I will compare the prices between the bostons and the picnics and usually the bostons are better pound for pound. The picnics i get here always have a thick layer of hyde and fat on them and the two bones take up alot of space as well. I have done both, but I preffer the bostons..

I will compare the prices between the bostons and the picnics and usually the bostons are better pound for pound. The picnics i get here always have a thick layer of hyde and fat on them and the two bones take up alot of space as well. I have done both, but I preffer the bostons..
I;ll have to agree about the picnics, at least the ones sold in my area. It takes more time to trim/prep.

butts are more than picniks..............alot more than 89 cents/lb. hey pete, food city has them on sale this week for .99/lb! they are usualy $1.30+. tme for buckboard and pulled!

We did one a while back and it turned out great!  It pretty well tasted the same as the butt however chose to slice it though we certainly could have pulled it.

food city has them on sale this week for .99/lb!  
 Goin there today to get some tortillas for the huntin trip. might as well stock up on some pork too... thanx for the heads up Rob

It depends a lot on what they call a picnic.  Some call the shoulder a picnic while others call the shoulder shank a picnic.  The whole shoulder is very good because the added fat gives more moisture, IMO.  A shank can sometimes be too fatty and you have to pick through the finished product to get a good balance.

Well something came up last night where I couldnt get her on the smoker so I'm going to put her on tomorrow instead or later tonight. I'm going to rub her down with jeff's rub and throw her in the smoker. I'm sure she'll come out pretty tasty

It smokes the same as a boston, just be sure to remove any hyde and put your temp probe in a thick muscle and not near a bone, which there is plenty of..

Well guys i just got done pulling the picnic and I will say even though it is good....it is however no butt. There is just something different about it. Kinda hamish. But like I said its still good and for .89 cents a pound im not complaining. But I think I will stick to the butt unless im short on some dough, or if im feeding a ton of people. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky