Smoking a brisket point only for burnt ends Tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Firemedic76

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 27, 2019
I have about a 7lb point prob be 5 after trimming that I wanna make burnt ends out of. We have friends coming up Saturday and he wants to smoke ribs in my cooker. So I’m thinking start the point at 9 am for 3hrs then wrap and put in the oven then he’ll arrive to smoke his ribs in the smoker for 90 min he says then I’ll remove the brisket from the oven let it rest an hour as it’ll have been in for 2-3hrs then I’ll cut it up and put it back on the smoker with the sauce and he can finish ribs in the oven. Am I in the ballpark here. Only time I’ve made burnt ends was with a full brisket but I cut the point from the flat to smoke since the whole brisket wouldn’t fit in a rack on my smoker so I smoked 3 hrs to 175 then I wrapped both and into the oven at 250 till they both were probe tender And I put that flat in the cooler to rest and that’s when I cut up the point and put it back in the smoker to finish for another hour.

I don't do burnt ends often but I prefer to cube the point chilled or at least cooled down to 'solid'
Point is forgiving, and it's a lot easier than 'it's done when it's done.' For this application it doesn't have to be probe tender on the initial cook as you're going to render it pretty far after the cube.

This might be viewed as heresy here but I'd smoke it and wrap it the night before and cube/season/sauce and have them running as soon as your buddy shows up with the ribs. I personally think that burnt ends need to go longer than 90 minutes even at a higher temp. Only way I'll eat sauce on brisket is at caramelized.

I would probably cube it before I smoked it to cut down cooking time, never made them before but have thought about them Alot, I am diabetic so a lot of the really good things I stay away from.

I would probably cube it before I smoked it to cut down cooking time, never made them before but have thought about them Alot, I am diabetic so a lot of the really good things I stay away from.
I do pork belly burnt ends sugar free. After smoke and cube it I mix them with butter, Swerve brown and G Hughes sugar free BBQ sauce. They are amazing and my mom keto guests don’t know the difference.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky